1

Jeno shut his window quietly and crept across the lawn, ducking under the fence and walking slowly across his next door neighbour's lawn. He'd been doing this every night all summer, and he knew his routine. He knew exactly which path he'd be taking to avoid getting caught.

Or at least, he thought he did.

Tonight was different. Light flooded over the lawn and he pressed his back flat against a wooden garden trellis, ignoring the ivy leaves in his face and the thorns in his back and hands. He could hear dogs barking from inside the house, and the wind shaking the trees, but so far no sign of another person.

"Hey," a voice called out, "You know I can see you, right?"

Jeno looked up and was met with a boy about his age. He leaned out the window to look down at Jeno, and his pink hair fell into his face as he smiled.

"Uh... Hi?"

"You're lucky I'm in a good mood tonight," the pink-haired stranger said, "You've been sneaking out of your house through my yard all summer and you always wake up my dogs and they won't shut up. I'm kind of sick of it, so be prepared to be soaked with water guns on your way out to your next party. Anyway, goodnight!" The boy disappeared back inside and shut his window, causing his yard to once again be dark. Jeno stumbled along, having not adjusted to the darkness just yet, until he was on the street and on his way to see his friends.