Part 1

(Levi's POV)

Tch, they are so soft. I looked down at the congregation of new recruits who had just arrived in the courtyard. The lot looked yellow bellied and weak. They were still in their training corps uniforms and were passing down their bags from the carriages.

Some of them were even smiling. I wonder how many of these kids will survive their first expedition past the walls?

I straightened my cravat and drew my hand through my hair, returning to its finest state. It had recently rained and Kartierung Castle, where the Survey Corps were based, had puddles littering the grounds. Tch, they are just stomping in the mud.

How filthy.

I was about to be on my way when I saw a small gaggle of recruits partaking in the strangest thing.

They were laughing.

They were full of enthusiasm and joy. There was a bratty red head cackling away at another fat trainee who had dropped his bag in a puddle and was hastily trying to dry it off. Stupid idiots, they could have avoided making such an unsightly mess.

My interest was further ensnared at the sight of two cadets... kissing.

There was tall boy craning over this ditzy blonde. I didn't understand what they were doing. Romantic attachments between members of the survey corps is against military regulations. I don't care about what a musty, old rule book had to say, but what I didn't get was that they have this attachment and yet they still come here. A career many people believe is a death sentence. How reckless could they be to bring that connection to the battlefield, it could only lead to catastrophe...

I never understood other people's need for human connection. The way they fussed over each other and argued about trivial things. Even if they 'loved each other' it couldn't outweigh the grief that would inevitably would follow. My thoughts wandered to the faces of Isabel and Furlan. That image of them waving me off as I sped through the torrential rain.

My face remained monotone, despite my momentary spell of weakness.

I had better be off. I had a meeting with Erwin and some new section leader. I briskly walked through the dark halls of the castle, each footfall echoing throughout. Moments later I found myself at the Commander Erwin's door. With little disregard I flung open the door to see Erwin at his desk. His desk was the centre of the room, surrounded by tall bookshelves and backed by a large window overlooking the grassland. He looked up from his maps to calmly say "Good morning, Levi." The commander was a tall man, with blonde hair and a serious composition. He was a man who played chess with the world, always staying three moves ahead. I slam the door and lean up against the bookshelf.

"Where is this new squad leader?" I demanded, looking around the office. I was usually the one turning up late to meetings. Who did this guy think he was?

"They should be here any second." True enough moments later a bumbling man stumble into the room. He was panting, carrying an overflowing pile of mess papers.

He eventually spluttered "Sorry commander for being late. There was an error in filing system." He had short brownish hair and already seemed like a nervous wreck. I glowered out him momentarily catching his gaze. He was taken aback, hastily bringing his attention to the pile of papers collecting on the floor. How did this runt ever become a section commander?

"No trouble. Let us begin." Erwin clasped his hands together explaining "If humanity is ever to win the war against Titans then we need information. We have lost so many and still no little about the enemy. This ignorance is holding us back and that is why I am instituting the creation of a Science Division within the Survey Corps." Erwin scanned my face to see if I would react but I kept my face blank sharply replying

"Then why do you need me?"

Erwin stood up from his desk and looked out over the grassy fields.

"Because on the next expedition, they will capture a Titan and bring it within the walls."

Capture a Titan? This plan was beyond bold. More like insane.

"Can you do this, Levi." Erwin asked intently.

I shrugged off "I can kill titans, I can slice up titans but I can't see a way of capturing them without it all going to shit..."

Erwin looked over to the brown haired man. "That is where the science division comes in. Do you have the blueprints I asked for?" The man began swatting through his mismatched papers and schematics, tossing several onto the desk.

"Here is what we have managed to come up with so far." The drawings showed strange contraptions and all manner of hypothetical gadgets. "As you can see we are still in the prototyping phase, we haven't had much time to test them as of yet."

I don't care about this buffoon and his drawings. I certainly don't want to experiment with titans and with the lives of my comrades. I was tempted leaving the room but I caught Erwin's gaze. Erwin was fascinated with each drawing, carefully inspecting each schematic. I decided to trust his judgment and stick around.

"So Erwin you want me to serve under this squad leader? Is that it?" If that is what I must do. Ugh.

The man looked surprised and answered back "I'm not the squad leader, I am her assistant Moblit Berner."

Frustration swelled in my stomach, heat venting form my face. She wasn't here!

"Tch, who is the squad leader then?" I scoff.

"Hange Zoe is the squad leader who is leading the Science division, Captain. Sighed an exasperated Moblit. Clearly this is a man who dreads going to work in the morning. My mind created a vague mental image of some surly lady ordering her squad into position.

"Why isn't she here then?" I spit at the assistant.

He hesitantly replied "She has been up for the last week working on these designs so she is sleeping..."

Tch. I look back to Erwin to see if he would adversely react to this. To my surprise he doesn't bat an eye. Unlike myself he seems to know what he's getting into.

Erwin finally chimed in, "You will not be working under Squad leader Zoe but I want you there to monitor the situation. I trust your experience and your ability to adapt, especially when we will be over the walls.

Hange Zoe. Whoever you are, I am being saddled with you for the foreseeable future. I recoiled at very idea of it. I don't care what crazy ideas you try out or what lengths I must go to.

But you better be clean, or else.