o. calm before the storm

o. prologue . . .
—smalltown boy!

( warning! mentions of suicide, depression and death )

"what happened to your mom?" charlie lupo voiced into the silence. afternoon sunlight bathed the cabin, making everything look bright.

danny took a deep breath, and began to recount the story he's told time after time. it almost felt like something he just said. something he recalled from memory when triggered to do so.

danny nikos' mom killed herself when he was thirteen. it was a weird age for him. he was just starting to hit puberty, notice girls, and now he had to accept death.

everyone had heard about it. well, everyone in their town. charlie on the other hand had been thousands of miles away during this time and would have no possible way of knowing that his future lover was going through one of the most difficult times of his life.

"i don't think i ever really processed it," danny said.

"what do you mean?"

"my mom had been depressed for a while. i knew that. when she did it, i didn't really feel anything. of course i cried, but i was back in school the next day. it didn't hurt. like how other people describe pain. it hurt like stubbing your toe. it was there, it was gone. but i couldn't keep going on like nothing happened because of everyone else. they treated me, so . . . different. so fragile like i was going to break if they talked too loud."

charlie snuggled closer against the boys chest, feeling his heartbeat directly at his ear. neither of the boys spoke after that, just the comfortable silence between the two.

"we should probably get back now," danny voiced after a while.

"yeah, you're right." charlie began moving, locating his shirt and underwear. danny soon follows, tugging his shirt over his head.

after they are dressed, the two exit the cabin, playfully shoving each other on the way.

"race you," charlie calls and speeds off. danny lets out a laugh and runs after him. he knows he's going to lose, but he still laughs as he runs.

they come to the main area of the camp, and see that the campers are all gathered in a circle, listening to one of the other counselors, amy, give directions. they sneak in, each finding spots not too far from one another.

and that's how danny spent his summer. secret meetings, and sly looks during bonfires. it was the best secret he's ever kept. and it was nice, until summer was over.