Chapter 4

Kate woke up the morning after her second wedding anniversary to a handwritten note from Bryce:

 love you, have fun on your birthday tomorrow. I'm so sorry I can't be there to celebrate with you. I'll be home as soon as I can.

This was the fifth birthday she had celebrated since they had been a couple. This was also the first one that Bryce would miss. He had to be in Atlanta on business for an overnight trip. He would be back tomorrow, her actual birthday, but most likely extremely late, or rather very early the morning after her birthday. They had discussed her going with him, but because he was in the very last phases of closing a deal on an old Atlanta property he would be in meetings with lawyers all day and said he'd rather she stay home and celebrate with the girls than alone, waiting on him. Kate loved him for that. He always put her first, wanted the best for her and loved her unconditionally.

She hopped out of bed and quickly changed into cropped workout pants and an old baggy t-shirt. Working out was the thing she loathed most, which is why she did it first thing in the morning four days a week, and why she didn't give a single crap about how she looked whilst doing it. Walking into the kitchen she grabbed a bottle of water from the fridge before heading to the garage which Bryce had converted into a workout room. She checked the schedule from her trainer and quickly set up the circuit he had written out for her. After fifteen minutes on the bike to warm there was a total body HIIT circuit and she hated every minute of it. Why couldn't she be one of those women who loved working out? It just wasn't meant to be, but she had spent years battling her body and refused to hate it anymore. She wasn't plus size, but she also wasn't thin and that was fine. The only reason she worked out was so she could eat dessert. Balance is what she told herself. Plus, Bryce loved her curves. Always had. And although she didn't need his approval, she loved how he loved every inch of her.

After her workout she made a western omelette and French press coffee. After showering quickly she threw on leggings and a big baggy sweater. It was almost October and the weather had changed. Fall was moving in and summer was moving out. She didn't mind. As cliche as it was, fall was her favorite season.

In her home office she checked first her private email. There were a few emails from her favourite shops wishing her a happy birthday in the form a coupon code; saving the ones from Sephora, Anthropology and the local bookstore, she deleted the rest and opened her work email. Nothing overly interesting. Replying to a few requests for meetings first, she then moved on to editing. In her almost four years at America Daily Kate had quickly moved up the ranks, proving herself as a brilliant editor. She was now Senior Editor of the Reviews department. She edited writers pieces on new books movies and the occasional up and coming young star. She liked the ones about people and movies, but books had always had her heart. She felt it necessary to read every book she received a review on. Thankfully she was a quick reader.

The review in front of her was a review for After, the last book in yet another YA, post apocalyptic, trilogy. Surprisingly, she had actually really enjoyed the first two books Before, and During. So far After was her least favorite. She could finish it today and have the edited review back to her writer before 5pm, putting it on time to be in tomorrow's edition.

Going to the kitchen to grab another cup of coffee she sat down and opened her book. Honestly, the kindle app on her iPhone would be much more suitable than purchasing every book she needed to read a review on, but she couldn't help it. She loved books, their smell when they were new or old, the feel of them in her hands. Her phone chirped as she took a sip of coffee. A text message from Bryce"

Hi, beautiful. Landed safely in Atlanta. I booked you a birthday massage tomorrow morning. Alex will be at the house tomorrow morning at 11:00 to take care of you. I love you.