two

||CHAPTER 2||
《¤》

┊A R N A V┊

•where we know what our heart always desired•

Awkward silence filled the table when another minute slowly turned out to be empty. I glanced at Natalie, my boss, for the tenth time in the past half an hour. From what I recall from our last conversation, we were tight on schedule, but now, it was very clear that Bollywood celebs did not come under that sort of policy.

"Uh," The manager of the said celebrity cleared her throat, "I'm extremely sorry for this kind of a delay. This kind of mismanagement usually doesn't happen, I'm sure Sanaya is stuck in the Mumbai traffic. Please excuse me while I make another call."

Natalie addressed her with a smile that I had last seen her adorn the day she was promoted to boss me around. I hated it. It meant more work and trouble for me. "Of course. We understand that she's a busy person."

The moment the manager left the table, I hissed at her. "You forgot to mention the part where we are tight on schedule."

"That," Natalie grabbed her glass of water, "was to make sure that your lazy ass steps out of your room in time."

"Aah, so thoughtful," I smiled. "Ever realised that I may have other things to do except waste my time here, waiting for some celebrity?"

"Oh, I have," she nodded. "But then I remembered that you don't get paid to do those other things. Besides, from what I recall from one of your drunken stories, you fled India to do what I have employed you to do."

That was definitely the reason why she got on my nerves since the day she started bossing me around. Of course I was doing what I absolutely loved, but could she not show the slightest trace of pity? "I did not flee India," I corrected her nonetheless. "The lines are very blurred, but I did not flee."

"Yeah, yeah," she munched on a raw onion ring, waiting for the manager to return. "Potaytoes, potahtoes."

I shook my head. After the... incident on my seventeenth birthday, things had been queasy. For almost a year I had no contact with my family, not even Arvika. It was after I had gotten into the college of my dream that she had barged into my apartment one day, unannounced. Of course I was not prepared for that kind of an intrusion, but god it felt so good to see my twin, and frustrated at that. Just the combo I had always dreamed of before.

"Pehele toh lagta tha ki tu adopted hai," she had said the moment I had opened the door only to be pushed at the side to watch her stomp around my living room, "but then you pull this stupid stunt of yours and I fucking wished ki tu sach mein adopted hi ho."

I had only managed to stand in front of her when she shoved me again, punching my shoulders with both her fists. "Konsa YJHD ka Kabir Thapar hai tu, haan? Samajhta kya hai khudko? Passion hai toh sabko bhool ke bhaag jao? Mujhse madad mangna zaruri nahi samjha kya? Or is it that you want to show ki you are the smarter twin, yet again?"