Concept

Sherlock slammed his mug down on the table. "John," he said, breaking the month-long silence. "I want you to help me with an experiment."

John had barely spoken to him recently, not after what had happened, so his voice was weak as it came out of his mouth. "What if I don't want to?"

"John," Sherlock repeated, his muscles tight as he anxiously repeated himself. "We haven't spoken in too long. I can't take it. I'm going insane. We need to do something about it. You know... bond."

John kept his eyes focused on the newspaper in front of him, though he didn't really focus on the words much, pretending to not care. Sherlock knew he did, though. He could tell. "What kind of experiment, then?" John asked. "Apologising?"

Sherlock shut his eyes and pursed his lips. John knew very well how bad he was at that. "That... wasn't necessarily what I had in mind, no," he replied coyly, his voice flowing out in smooth waves as John's was raspy and out of shape.

John sighed. "Well?" he asked, trying his best to sound irritated. "What is it, then?"

Sherlock stood up out of his seat, ignoring the small puddles of coffee that had hit the hardwood table when he had thrown the cup down, and nonchalantly straightened out his shirt, replying, "I read somewhere that it's possible to fall in love with anyone you want to."

"Somewhere?" John scoffed sarcastically. "Where did you read this? I know damn well you didn't forget the site."

Cursing inwardly, Sherlock tried his best to avoid answering directly. "It's just a science theory. Nothing proven. That's why I need you to help me with it: so we can prove it either true or false."

John raised his eyebrows, sighing as he threw his paper down on the table next to him and stood up, throwing his hands out to the side and smiling inauthentically. "What do you want me to do, then?" he asked, and Sherlock looked at the floor, shrugging as he nervously suggested, "I think we should try it."