ᴘᴀʀᴛ 1

The moon is out tonight. Its soft rays cut through the window on the far side of the room, casting a spell on the darkness.

Doyoung lays on his back, staring at the ceiling. He's not sure why he's awake. He was supposed to be asleep a couple hours ago, but his mind is whirring. Things have been hectic lately, and for a number of reasons.

For one, the job. While it's always been mentally and physically taxing, and he knew exactly what he was getting into when he signed on, he doesn't think he'll ever get used to it. His body still aches after hours of dance practice. They're preparing multiple showcases at once, one in japan, and another in the us. They're working on a new album and organizing a world tour that starts at the end of next month.

So it's a lot.

And on top of all that is emotional dissonance. Doyoung doesn't typically think of himself as an overly emotional person, but these days have been different. In a lot of ways.

The thought is interrupted when his phone vibrates on the nightstand.

He turns on his side and reaches for it. The brightness of the display assaults his eyes and he squints, fumbling with the controls to turn it down. He manages to see the message notification at the top of the screen.

are you awake?

Doyoung stares at the message for a few seconds. He briefly considers locking his phone and flipping back over in his bed. It's half past one and they have an early schedule tomorrow.

This is not the first time he's gotten the same message or something similar around this time of night. And he knows indulging the boy will one way or another result in him losing more precious sleep.

yeah

Doyoung replies anyway, despite all rational arguments. He can't help the flutter of anticipation in his stomach when the ellipsis flickers at the bottom of the screen.

why... hOw?

Doyoung half smiles at that. He acts as if this has never happened before.

could ask you the same thing

They used to lie awake texting each other until the sun stretched through the curtains and birds chirped in the distance. Doyoung is a lot busier now than he was in those days. And so is Jungwoo.

Ever since the company first introduced them, he had a special place in his heart for the boy. Back when Jungwoo was still a trainee, quiet, painfully shy and intimidated by everything that was happening around him, Doyoung took it upon himself to be his friend. He saw himself in the boy, could tell he was bursting with talents and just needed someone to set him free.

He found they actually had a lot in common, from music taste to style sense. Jungwoo became his closest friend in the group. They never found a lot of time to hang out, and often resorted to texting in the time in between.

can't sleep , Jungwoo answers.

He frowns. The boy says that only sometimes, although Doyoung can't help the motherly worry already forming in his chest that after long, exhausting work days, Jungwoo can't come away from it all to rest. He wonders if Jungwoo's mind is plagued with thoughts just like his.

:/ me neither

whatcha thinking about

It's an interesting question. What is he thinking about? He's not really thinking about work, the other members, or their schedule.

Somehow, at Jungwoo's inquiry, all other potential stressors fall away from the front of his mind and leave only one thing.

It's nothing bad, per say.