tiny dresses and big pressures

I slip into the dress. If you can call it a dress. It is light grey with a silver trim, it is pretty short, and very tight around my waist. I look at it in the mirror. It looks good. I look good. I guess the diet worked. I didn't really have much to lose, but I do look a bit skinnier. I haven't eaten much recently, apart from last night when we went out for dinner to celebrate my Instagram hitting fifteen million followers. I didn't really enjoy the dinner though. It's hard to enjoy things like that when you're constantly worrying about the paparazzi finding you or somebody recognising you. Mum will be happy about my weight though. I hope. She was the one who got me into the modeling industry. She was the one who kickstarted my career. When I was seven, I was entered into my first real beauty pageant. I looked so cute, in a hot pink dress with a big smile and that childish innocent sense of not caring or being aware that there were thousands of people watching you. I've worked so hard over the years to get where I am and it's definitely paid off. Now I'm eighteen, and I'm modeling for the big brands, Louis Vuitton, Prada, Dior, Chanel, you name it. Tonight it's Calvin Klein. My make up artist, who luckily for me is also my best friend and like a brother to me, Skye, is just putting the finishing touches on my look.
"All done Parker, you got this girl," Skye says, smiling at his finished work. He really is a talented artist. I'm so lucky to have him. As a best friend, too.
"Thanks, love you," I reply, attempting to give him a hug but struggling in my ridiculously tight dress; "Good luck for your dinner date with Liam tonight!"
"Thanks for reminding me about that. Now I'm nervous again."
"It'll be fine, I promise, but for now I have to go, ciao!"

Tonight's event isn't too big. It's New York Fashion Week 2021, and tonight is just a dinner "party" with a few other brands. It's not a party though. It's just a dinner. I wish it was a party. I've never been to a real party, or any typical teenage thing similar, because I am homeschooled and I don't go to high school or anything. It also doesn't help that I've been in the spotlight since so young and I would never be allowed to go to a party because it would 'risk ruining my reputation', or something like that.
"Alright Parker," a voice comes from my molescule earpiece. It's Larissa, my manager, basically my boss. She's pretty nice, very on to it and knows her stuff, but very strict and extremely honest and straight up with what she says. If she doesn't like something or you don't look good, you'll know. Since she's only a few years older than me we're pretty close, and she's like my second mother. I probably take her for granted a little too much. I probably take everything for granted too much.
Larissa continues; "Tonight you're seated next to me and some singer guy from Australia. You might have heard of him. His name is Ruel Van Dijk. Don't worry about talking to him too much, just greet him and farewell him. This is his first event like this and he's sponsored by a minor brand so you don't need to bother blowing him away with your charms. I'll do the negotiating with his managers. Just smile and look pretty. You're on in ten."

As I walk off the red carpet and blow one last kiss at the paparazzi, I'm focused on my next task; finding Larissa. My eyes search the many large round tables all neatly set with fancy cutlery and napkins. Luckily I spot her pretty quickly. She's wearing a pastel yellow dress which goes perfectly with her wavy blonde hair. She's actually naturally really pretty but just too short to be a model. I would describe her as the type of person who looks like she's straight from an American high school movie and stars as the popular girl.
"Hey Larissa," I say, hugging her, "You look good. That dress looks ten times more comfortable than mine."
Larissa laughs, "Yeah but you look utterly stunning."
"Thanks," I say, "I was hoping my lack of ability to breathe would be worth it."
We talk for a few more minutes until it's time to go to our seats. I greet everyone at our table.
The food is ready soon enough. I don't put much on my plate because I can feel Larissa's eyes watching me and judging how much I'm going to eat. But I don't know how I'm supposed to eat anything in this dress.