eleven.

Chapter 11: Change of Plans

The plan was finally set-in motion. Cover the Byer's shed so that it was completely unrecognizable, then awake Will, who was currently a spy to the Mind Flayer. They will question him in order to figure out how they can kill it without killing Will. The thought of the boy being in the crossfire of all this made Tali want to start hyperventilating, but she just had to remain focused.

Everyone moved in and out of the Byers home in order to prep the shed using tarps and emptying out anything Will would be able to recognize. In the process of lugging out a wooden crate from the shed Tali curses as her robe gets caught in an exposed nail and tears. Steve who was perched upon a ladder quips, "Your robes probably not the most practical item of clothing for this".

"Yeah well, I didn't exactly know what I was getting myself into when I left my house yesterday," Tali remarks unhooking the fabric material from the nail.

"Hey, would you bring some duct tape these staples suck," Steve calls as she walks out of the shed.

"Sure," she shouts back before heading into the Byer's home in search of the tape passing Jonathan, and the rest of the kids who are helping Hopper.

"Mrs. Byers do you have any duct tape? Steve says the staples are no good," she asks the woman who was hovering over her son cautiously.

"There should be some in that bottom drawer," she directs the girl who moves to crouch in the kitchen in search. The search was no use there was no duct tape in that drawer or any of the others Tali rummaged through. After discarding her robe on top of a counter in the kitchen, she heads back toward the shed to tell Steve he would just have to manage with the rusty staples.

When she reaches the slightly ajar shed, she can see Nancy inside cutting duct tape for Steve as he fiddled with the tarp.

"What you did helping the kids... that was... really cool," she tells him.

Steve nods, "Yeah, yeah, those shits are real trouble you know? Tali helped too".

The mentioned girl grins to herself, yeah, I did help, she thinks proudly. The wind whistled around her causing her to lean toward the door, the creak of the wood startling the two inside the shed, "Oh, sorry was just about to tell you I couldn't find the duct tape," she points at Nancy, "But you got it so I'll go see what else I can do," she stammers.

Nancy quickly waves her hands, "I'll go, you can help Steve," and with that, she leaves. Steve offers Tali a smile as she passes him one of the cut pieces of duct tape Nancy had prepared.

☾ ☾ ☾

Once everything in the shed is prepared everyone leaves Hopper and Joyce to interrogate Will with Mike and Jonathan, leaving the rest of the group to pace around in the Bryers home awaiting answers. Tali pats her younger brother's shoulder as she sees him anxiously looking out the window knowing it wouldn't do any good to stand and wait like that. After a few minutes of waiting the lights in the house begin to flicker and the group moves to stand near the windows. Then they see Hopper burst out of the shed determinedly walking into the house grabbing a scrap envelope and pen.

"What happened?" Dustin asks.

The sheriff sighs as he sits at the table jotting down dots and lines as everyone gathers around him, "I think he's talking just not with words".

"Hey, what is that?" Steve asks as Hopper begins to write letters under the scribbles.

"Morse code," the kids say in unison.