Pt. 1: The Party

"Lia, could you get me another glass?"
My mom turns to me and gives me a smile as I hand her another pumpkin shaped goblet from the counter. "Thanks, your grandfather wanted some spiced punch."

The annual Halloween party my parents hold at our house is always crowded and busy, but it's one of my favorite parts of the year. Nothing feels as safe as having your whole family around you.
"Hey, Lia! Is the punch spiked?"
My youngest cousin Lindsey runs up to me, her wispy, curly hair falling out of her orange witch hat.

"No, or else I don't think your mom would have let you have any," I say, grinning.

"Oh, okay," she says and bounces off to one if the many candy tables.
My uncle Josh sidles up to me, punch in hand.
"So how are you putting up with all your cousins staying here?"
he asks with a smile.
"I love it," I say dreamily. It's pretty lonely being an only child.

I'm nit sure exactly when I notice it, but I realize that the Halloween movie that had been comfortably playing in the background has stopped. Conversation slowly dies out and everyone's head turns towards the tv.

"Something wrong with your wiring?" my uncle Jake murmurs to my dad, but he is cut off as background noise suddenly blasts from the speakers. On the screen, there is choppy footage of a reporter standing on a dark street with an occasional figure running past in the background.

"We have a code red emergency happening right now-" he has to yell over the howling wind, and keeps looking over his shoulder- "and this is basically the situation: there are packs blood drinking human hybrids CURRENTLY ROAMING STREETS IN NORTH AMERICA-" the wind screeches. In my house everyone is silent.

"THERE ARE HUNDREDS OF ATTACKS BEING REPORTED AS WE SPEAK- NATION WIDE EVACUATION IS BEING ENFORCED BUT WE SUGGEST >screech static< YOU SIMPLY GET IN YOUR MOST STURDY CAR AND DRIVE TO THE CANADIAN BORDER! PLEASE, TAKE THIS SERIOU-" the reporter blanches at something off camera and turns on his heal.

As he sprints away, the footage cuts out and we're staring at a blank television.

There is dead quiet until my mom and dad exchange one long, panicked look.

"Everyone in the car. Kids can fit into two cars with two grown ups driving each one. Someone also needs to drive mom and dad."
Everyone starts whirling around in confusion, heading for the doors and screaming at each other. I see my uncle grab some candy from a bowl as he heads towards the door.
Well, it could be a long drive.

Everyone jumps at the cars and all I hear is doors slamming and grownups yelling "two adults per car! Pack the kids in!"

Me and my cousins gravitate towards each other and dive into our big green van. Uncle Josh peeks through the doors one time and says goodbye. I almost make him wait, but there's no reason to, so I just sit and try to take it all in.

Soon it's quiet.
I feel that something is wrong in a strange, uncomfortable way like it's sliding over my bones, under my skin. I look out the window and there are no other cars in the driveway.

No other cars in the driveway.