Ellie - I

I never knew how I got up there but I woke up in the middle of the forest.

Breathing in was my first reflex but I was immediately attacked by my senses when all the smells hit me at once. One smell in special became more evident after a few breaths, and it came from the bundle under a tree where my grave laid, moving without making a sound. The thirst hit me with such strength that before I could stop myself...

"ELLIE, NO!"

I froze with the creature already in my arms and my teeth inching the chubby face. My eyes widened at the sight of the girl who showed up from behind the dark trees.

"Kat?"

In the darkness of the night, the outline of the pale Kat resembled the ones of an angel sculpted in marble.

"I know the thirst is bewildering now but don't kill the baby." She sounded sad saying that and that was more than any other feeling I had ever seen on her face. But the word "baby" brought back memories and a type of repulsion that made me drop the creature on the floor while whispering "monster".

Kat jumped and grabbed the baby on the floor, shushing it into stop crying. "It's not his fault that he was made in the way he was. He can grow up to be whatever and whoever you want him to be, Ellie. He is your son."

"I feel disgusted and enraged by that thing" I growled, still feeling the thirst burn my throat and something deeper. As repelled as I was while the memories were arriving, the smell of blood coming from the baby was hurting me.

"No, you don't" Kat didn't even blink. She just kept coddling the baby into sleep. "Whatever you think you're feeling, it's not real. It's an echo of your human soul that doesn't exist anymore. You can't feel. Your senses are confused right now but soon this will all be over." She finally turned her intense green eyes to me. "And you can fast forward it by accepting that you gave birth to one of the most powerful creatures in the world. Half demon babies have been almost extinct. He is the first in 400 years. And he is yours."

I took a step back, refusing to accept what she was saying. I had been molded into seeing that baby as the monster that killed me.

Kat's eyes begged me to take her side. "This baby is exactly why I was turned. But I can't raise him by myself. I need you, Ellie. And you know me well enough to know I wouldn't beg if I didn't need to."

My memories of Kat shot through my empty brain with that sentence. My hands started to shake and I closed them into a fist while trying to remember what Kat said about not having feelings anymore... The silence of the night took over me and suddenly there was no fear, pain or repulsion. Only blood.

And my baby was my blood.