Chapter 17

*Layla's P.O.V*
I walk to the table with Zanny,holding our food,it's break time at work and we are at the cafeteria.
"So you were saying?" Zanny asks as soon as she sits down.
"Javier!" I sigh deeply.
"What is wrong? What happened to him?" She asks again.
"Nothing is wrong with him,or Let me say I don't know. He has just been distant lately" I tell her.
She throws a fried chip into her mouth. "Have you tried asking him what's going on?"
I nod. "Of course I did,but he told me curtly that nothing is wrong. I'm seriously trying my best to please it but it's not working"
She pauses,her hand in the air. "When did he start acting like that?"
"I can't exactly recall, but it's over a week now."
"Hmmn...and you are sure you did nothing wrong?" She pouts.
"I don't know,Zanny. He should at least let me know what I did so I can apologise but he's not saying anything." I say slamming my hand on the table.
People turn to look at us,and I just smile and mouths sorry. They turn back and I continue.
"Has Greg ever acted like that and what did you do?"
She shrugs . "i don't really think something like this has happened to us,but anytime Greg is angry with me,I just make us dinner,I apologize,he accepts and we have awesome sex,that's all"
I chuckle. "That simple?"
"Yes,when there is love, fights don't last" she replies.
I nod slowly. I wonder why things are different with Javier, maybe he doesn't love me because he's so comfortable not smiling with me for a week.
After work, I head over to the market so I can make a nice dinner and apologise like Zanny advised.
I prepared pounded yam and Melon soup,I'm sure he would like it. I never made it for him before.
I light candles and wait for him to come back home. I keep waiting until it is 8:30pm so I decide to call him. I didn't want to call him before, because I don't want to disturb him but it's so late now.
He pick the call after the third ring, his smooth voice coming up on the phone."Hello"
"Hey,Javier.. Where are you?" I ask nervously.
"Sorry I won't be able to make it home tonight" he answers curtly.
I pause for a while. "Why?"
"I am working right now,so I will sleep in the office" he replies.
"Okay,let me drop by. I will bring you dinner" I suggest.
"No,don't bother. I will be just fine" he cut in.
"Hey Javier...." I really want to apologise but I hear a woman's voice just before he hang up.
My hand shakes as I drop my phone unto  the table. Is Javier seeing another woman? Is that why he has been so distant? Tears swell up in my eyes as I ask myself these questions.
It's too early for my husband to be cheating on me! What did I do wrong? I wonder if he's really at the office! I sink into the sofa putting my head into my hands. What mess did I get myself into?
I dial Zanny's number but she didn't pick the call,how much I need someone's comfort right now! I feel so lonely. I fall asleep thinking and I wake up around 5:00am,I take my bath and pray before I dress for work.
I debate whether calling Javier or not but I stick with the latter,he should be the one to call.
I leave the house for work so early in a bad mood, I don't really know what to do. I enter the building and force a smile at everybody I meet on the way. I reach my cubicle and see Zanny eagerly waiting for me.
"Come here...Lee. I have good news" she yells dragging me to a corner.
"What is it?" I ask her.
"The director just approved your article,it's coming out on the next magazine." She screams excitedly.
"Wow....." I smile. I can't believe it,my dream is finally coming true.
"What's wrong with you?" She asks holding my shoulder.
"Nothing" I grin at her. I don't really want to tell her what happened. This is my bestfriend who I tell everything but I feel so ashamed to tell her what I feel.
She hisses loudly. "Shut up,Joor. This is not you, Layla. You would have been jumping in Joy when I told you about the article. Oya spill,what happened?"
I smile sadly,Zanny knows everything about me. "I think Javier is cheating on me?"
"What? Is he insane?" She screams.
I grab her arm,covering her mouth with my hand. "Shuush Zanny,I'm not sure. It's just that he didn't come home last night and I offered to bring him food but he declined. I feel so bad,Zanny. What if he's no longer interested in me,what will I do?" Tears rolls down my eyes.
She rub my shoulder. "Calm down,Lee. I'm sure you're overacting..nothing is going on"
"Are you sure?" I peer into her eyes.
"Yes,Layla. Should I talk to him?"
"No...no..don't. I don't want him to think I'm suspecting him!" I interject.
Sh sighs deeply. "But you have to talk to him you know,or do you want the marriage to go down the drain?" She questions me in a quiet voice.
"No I don't... I have no intention of leaving him,you know." I reply her.
She nods. "I thought as much. So you have to tell him everything!"
"Everything? You mean including...." I stare at her in shock.
"Yes now!"
"No,I can't do that,Zanny. He will hate me for life." I argue. How can she ask me to tell him that I married him for his money,I can't do that ever.
"Then what? You will keep it a secret for life?" She asks.
"Yes if I have to!" I answer back raising my hands up.
She smirks. "but Layla,you know nothing stays hidden forever"
I frown,drawing my lips together. "I bet this one will" I plan to keep it that way.

#TBC
Like and comment for the next chapter.
Thanks for reading.