8

I get up early and put on the first dress I find. I already hate this day. Meeting Aegeus is what I want to avoid for as long as I can. I did not tell him what will happen today. What will he think when he sees my suitor? Will he hate me? Will he think I lied yesterday night? Will he think I was setting him a trap?

Depressed, I look at the floor as I walk out the bed-chamber. I walk to the garden and sit on a bench. Looking at the flowers, I think about what happened last night. I never felt this happy before and it might all soon end. With one misunderstand from Aegeus, he could hate me.

I did not ask to be born a princess. I would be able to show my affection towards him without needing to fear our death. I would be able to marry him and live peacefully. I could even become a warrior. I could train freely and with any weapon, I can get my hands on. I could have everything I ever wanted. But while a different life sounds nice, there is still the matter of my family. I do not hate my dad but he has earned my anger. I love my sisters and the love I receive from my mother. She is the only one who hides her need to train. She lets me tell her about the war when we have time to ourselves. I enjoy seeing her face light up in excitement.

She is happy being the queen, of course, but she misses her family and her past. Since my uncles are assassins or warriors, they are not allowed to visit us. I was about five the last time I saw them. They were allowed to visit the kingdom but not the royal family. I miss them. I miss Uncle Shadow beyond anyone else. He gave me his katana and I have used it whenever I can. My primary weapon is still my favorite but I also love the katana. It has my mother's family initials on an endpoint. It helps me remember I got my love for war and training from my mother's family side.

I wish my father would see females from the royal family can also be great warriors. Melani is a warrior and father does not say anything about it. He simply accepts it and never tries to make her see life in another way. How can he be alright with Melani being a warrior but not me?! And then there is Lexie, who is a war general. She goes to war and battles alongside her soldiers but my father does not disapprove either. He simply accepts but does not seem able to accept I know what I want to be.

" You look stressed. Is there anything I can do to help?"

" Huh?"

I turn around and find myself looking at Aegeus. Bowing, he speaks in a neutral tone but he looks at me with a smirk on his face. Just looking at him so happy and carefree makes me feel better already. Smiling back, I order him to stand and answer his question. He always comes at a good time and makes me feel better instantly.

" You can rise. Can I borrow some of your time?"

" You can take up all of my time. I will always be there for you."

" Thank you."

" Now, what is making you worry, my love?"

" Do not call me that right here. Someone might hear us."

" Do not worry about that. No one is awake at this time."

" I still can not risk someone hearing us."

" Do not worry. Now, what is troubling you?"

I stay silent for a minute before I speak. I do not want to inform him of the suitors' thing but if I start talking now, I am sure that I will say it by chance. What if he hates me? I am thinking so hard that I just want to tell him. Speaking to him always makes me feel better and right now I need a hug or comforting words. I continue to look at him silently and I let my mouth speak. I do not want to tell him about the suitors but I guess my mind decides to betray me. 

" . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . My family, the suitors, my desires, everything. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ."

" . . . . . . . . What suitors? . . . . . . . . . "