Chapter Thirty Nine

Daniel ran through the school halls as fast as he could. Within two minutes, he had made his way behind a tapestry on the fifth floor and down a rope that lead to the Horned Serpent common room. Lifting a trap door at the bottom before jumping off the rope, he landed expertly onto a carpeted floor. Gazing around the cosy room, he was pleased to know that his suspicions had been correct and found his only company being Jack the Pukwudgie and Adam.

Walking over to the older boy, Daniel was surprised that before he could even get a word out, he was being spoken to.

"What do you want?" Adam asked, not bothering to look up from his textbook. Daniel stuttered, lowering his voice in the hope to have a conversation that couldn't be overheard by Jack or by anyone else who happened to walk into the common room.

"I think that us two can work together to help your Father."

Adam raised an eyebrow. "And here was me thinking you were here to finally thank me for saving your life."

Daniel froze for a second. "Of course I want to thank you for helping me."

"Without me John would've killed you."

"You're right. I should've thanked you earlier."

An awkward silence followed until Adam finally looked up and continued the conversation in the direction that Daniel had originally intended for it to go.

"So what was this you were saying about helping my Father?"

"Well Sophia and David said something that made me think. You see, these anti No-Maj and anti No-Maj born posters are now unable to be taken off of the walls and destroyed in the way that the three of us have been doing for a while now. Obviously, this is really bad for a number of reasons, but Sophia and David were talking about how so much propaganda is being produced now that there has to be things that are slipping through the gaps. Whoever is behind this has been so careful. But now I don't think they can be anymore. There's too much going on." He paused trying to let Adam catch up with his logic.

"So what are you trying to say? What has any of that got to do with the two of us?" Adam asked eventually.

"I think that we can work together to find the bread crumbs that lead to who is behind this and perhaps use them to make wrapping this whole situation up for your Father even easier."

"But why me? Why not my sister or your cousin?"

Daniel took a step closer and spoke in an even lower voice. Adam leaned back away from his slightly. "Because I think both you and I agree on one thing."

"And what's that then?"

"Who is behind all of this."

Adam's facial expression changed multiple times in the space of a few seconds, ranging from surprise to concern before settling on confused.

"And who's that then?"

"John."

- - - - -

A couple of weeks before the end of term and the end of the school year, Percival stood in the open doorway of the school, thankful for the gentle breeze displacing his immaculate hair as the sun partially blocked his view. Before too long, however, he was happy as a figure stepped into his line of sight, smiling and blocking the light from his eyes.

"Credence." The older man breathed, stepping forward to fall into the man. "Time has dragged and tempers have frayed. I am happy to see you again."

Credence chuckled. "How are our children?"

"Sophia is in good spirits, though I have barely seen Adam."

"It will take some time to heal old wounds." Credence said softly, before another voice sounded behind him.

"And how is my son?" Tina asked tentatively, stepping into view. "He barely writes anymore, and Newt and I worry about him."

Percival took a step back. "He is well. I have seen him a lot recently. If I had known of his silence I would've corrected it."

Tina smiled softly and sadly. "You cannot make David do anything he does not wish to do." She said at last. "Anyway, are you going to show us in, then?"

"Of course!" Percival said. He walked them up to the short corridor which contained the little room that he had been staying in. "Your room is just opposite us, Tina." Percival said as he opened his door for Credence. "And if Professor Blackrose gives you any hassle, just send him my way."

- - - - -

Although it took them far longer than they had originally planned, by the end of June Daniel and Adam had devised a plan. Meeting in the common room long after everyone else had gone to bed but long before they would wake up, they discussed the final details.

"Do you think we have enough stuff to make it work?" Daniel asked.

"Definitely. We have spent weeks going through the dormitories and this room and I think we've found everything that we can. We have piles of finished and half finished posters, we have the sketches of the dummy, and we even have the list of No-Maj born students that he's written up. If this isn't enough to incriminate John then nothing is." Adam spoke confidently. "Have you planned to hide the stuff smartly?"

"Yes. I'm even going to try to slip one or two things under his cat's bed, though I won't be surprised if it tries to rip my hand off in the process. I never liked that scrawny thing. You're sure he hasn't missed any of this stuff?"

"I haven't heard him complain. He's been too busy worrying about training."

"So later on today, while everyone is out on the quidditch pitch to watch the final, I'll be in here, moving all of the evidence so that it's around John's stuff. That way, it's enough evidence for Percival to use to clear this whole situation up."

"And then finally I will no longer have this thorn in my side." Adam said gleefully.

"And I'll be allowed to return to school next year!"

"Quite." Adam said after a little pause.

- - - - -

Soon the rest of the school was awake and there was a buzz of excitement as everyone was discussing the quidditch match. Many people were arguing over who was going to win, and Sophia's heart glowed with pride when she overheard a fifth year Pukwudgie exclaim loudly:

"I know that the Wampus team has a great set of chasers, but that Graves kid is amazing on his broom. There's no chance they'll ever manage to get the Quaffle past him!"

As time ticked on, David and Sophia left their common room, intent on getting good places for the match before anyone else. That was disrupted, however, when they came across Daniel outside the mirror. Sophia was just about to comment on how they could find seats together when Daniel started speaking very quickly and quietly.

"I'm sorry to disappoint the two of you, but I need you to follow me."

- - - - - - - - - -

Hope you're all staying safe during these uncertain times! Remain indoors! Save the NHS and save lives.