One in the Same (Chap. 6)

Chapter Six

            Melanie had honestly never been so afraid in her life. She found out quickly that she liked solid ground and from now on was going to stay on it. The helicopter ride was horrible. She had been hanging on to the seat for her dear life. Her hands, that had been white from the death grip on her seat’s bottom, were now sore and barely able to bend. The second that the damn thing had landed, she had ran off and thrown up… then she started to curse, at herself, at Phoebe, at Phoebe’s mom, everything. Melanie decided that she wasn’t going to get in another one even if the world was coming to an end and that was the only way to live, she would just say ‘fuck it’ and go down in hell with the rest of them.

            They were on the way back to Phoebe’s apartment now and Melanie was still pissed as hell. This whole bounding shit wasn’t working, she just wanted to go back to the way things were before that whole club thing. If everything had been normal, she would have been out with some guy right now, not ‘bounding’ with her ‘sister’.

            She sighed again, giving Monique a look that said ‘I’m getting out of this hell hole as soon as possible’. Monique rolled her eyes and sent back a ‘just deal with it, you pansy’ look. Melanie glared at her and she smiled innocently.

            Faith sat on Monique’s other side while David and Phoebe sat up front with him driving. Melanie still couldn’t believe how thoroughly wrapped around her finger that Phoebe had that man. He seemed completely enthralled by her and even when they were at the airfield, he didn’t even seem to notice that any other girl besides her existed. It was eerie. Melanie didn’t think that she would even want that. Like what would happen when she tired of the guy like she always did? Emotions always made any relationship messy, you just stuck with the physical and that was that.

            Faith was talking about something so boringly humane that Melanie could barley keep her eyes open for the car ride and was extremely relieved when the were finally out of the car.

            “Okay, I’m otta here,” she told them, heading for her bike.

            Phoebe looked up, surprised. “Oh, no, please stay. We are just getting to know each other!”

            Melanie rolled her eyes. Was this girl seriously for real? “I know where you live, I’ll find you when I want to talk to you again.” And don’t be holding your breath for that, she thought.

            “But-” Phoebe started again.

            Melanie held up her hand. “I don’t want to hear it. I’m out.” Without looking back, she headed to her bike. No one said anything as she revved up her engine but she heard Monique’s bike start up as she headed down the street. When the hell did her life become a frickin’ Lifetime drama?

            Just as she turned the corner, she slammed on her brake, only her driving skills keeping her from flipping her bike over. “What the hell?” She put the kickstand down on her bike- after pulling it to the side- and ran over to the man that was laying on the road just where she had been driving.

            “Don’t worry about it,” Faith said again.

            Phoebe looked away and sighed, but in the next second, she knew that she had looked the wrong way because David could now see the pain in her eyes.

            David met and caught her eyes. “Faith, could you give us a second?” He asked the other girl without breaking the eye contact.