28

Your Point of View

However, before I left, I did enjoy the food Alfred graciously brought to me. I needed the energy to do what I was about to do.

"Are you sure I can't change your mind?" Alfred says to me as I put my boots on. "Master Wayne will surely be disappointed."

"Bruce says I'm free to go, and the best place for me right now is away from Gotham," I tell him honestly.

The elder nods his head in understanding. "That may be true Miss, but the travel out of the city may be dangerous."

"That's why I'd like to borrow a car," I tell him with a smirk.

"Master Wayne didn't authorize that," he says with lifted eyebrows.

"After what he's done to me, it's the least you could do," I poke at him.

Alfred shrugs his shoulders before pulling out a pair of keys from his back pocket. "I never saw you," he says in a hushed tone before tossing the keys to me.

I give him a grateful smile. "Thanks Alfred, I'm ready to leave this damn city."

"Best of luck to you."

***

The traffic was unbearable. Bruce wasn't lying when he said that all of Gotham was evacuating. I turned off the radio because all it was, was the news about him and his threats.

I didn't want to listen to any of it.

Metropolis was only a few hours from here, and as soon as I cross the bridge, I'll kiss this wretched life goodbye.

My feet slam on the breaks as the car in front of me comes to a complete stop. "What the hell?" I curse in frustration. Police officers were walking up and down and I was thankful these windows were tinted so I couldn't be recognized.
They were ushering traffic through, but it seems that nothing way helping. "Come on!" I growl in aggravation as I slam down on my horn. "How does traffic happen when we are all going in the same !"

Suddenly, the back of my car was struck and I shot forward while colliding with the deployed airbag. My mind rattled as my head throbbed and I groan in pain. This can NOT be happening right now.

A few officers rush over to my car and begin tapping on the window. If I get out, I'll surely be recognized, and if I stay in, they'll think I'm unconscious and break the window.

All there was left to do was run.

I duck my head down as I open the door. My body ached from being hit by another automobile but I pushed it to the back of my mind as I stumble out of the car.

"Miss! Are you alright?" An officer calls to me but I ignore him as I quickly make my way around the car and back towards the road. I was only a few meters from the bridge and the farries were loading up people to take over the harbor.

The officers continued to call after me but my quick pace increased to a full-on sprint. "Stop that woman!" I hear from behind me, but I had already jumped over the fence and landed gracefully down into dock. I raced and found a crowd that I could blend into. I thanked the dark clothing Bruce had given me. I guess he did come in handy after all.

I zip in and out between families and single people who were lining up to board the ferry. Once I finally found a safe haven, I took a huge needed breath. I found a bench and sat on it, trying to steady my beating heart from the adrenaline it just endured.

Out of nowhere, I feel a presence sit down beside me and the familiar smell of smoke wafted into my nose.

"How did you find me so fast?" I ask without looking up. I knew exactly who was sitting beside me.