epilogue

Brooke.

Some time later.

I woke slowly, to the sound of beeping and the strong smell of disinfectant chemicals.

When I opened my eyes, my head felt clear again. Relieved, I looked around, taking in the pristine white walls, tiled floors and the hospital machines surrounding me. They beeped, showing numbers and patterns that meant nothing to me. It was night time outside, with only the soft glow of the light next to me to see.

There was a soft snore from next to me, and I glanced down to see a mop of crazy black curls on the bed next to my arm.

A wide smile spread on my face; Julian had pulled the hospital chair close to the bed, and fallen asleep with his head on the edge, hand clasping mine.

His face was turned toward me. The beep on the monitor stuttered with my heart - it felt like I hadn't seen him for so long. I reached out a hand, a needle stuck in the vein, and traced the dark circles under his eyes, the angle of his cheekbones. . .

I was so absorbed in my tracing that I didn't notice his eyelashes flutter. When I looked at them, his brown eyes were open wide.

At the sight of me awake, he jolted up, blinking rapidly. "You're up!" He rasped.

"Hi, baby," I whispered.

Julian's curls stuck up all around his head. "How long have you been up? How do you feel? Are you okay?"

I laughed quietly, "I just woke up. I'm fine."

"Are you sure?" Julian glanced around in distress. "Should I call a doctor?"

"No. . ." I yawned, "it's fine. I'm okay."

I tightened my hold in his hand, and Julian's lips twitched slightly. "It's so good to see you awake. I've missed your eyes."

I blushed, "you look tired," I commented. "Have you been sleeping?"

He looked at me like I was crazy. "Of course not. How could I sleep when I didn't know where you were?"

I frowned; he really did look exhausted, paler than usual. "How long was I gone?"

"A week."

"A week?" I blurted, shocked.

"You say it like it's no time at all."

"It's not too long."

Julian grimaced, and the breath hitched in my throat at the raw pain that flashed in his eyes. "A week can last a lifetime," he whispered, "it was Hell, Brooke."

His voice cracked, and I felt my heart break slightly. "Come here," I said, and shuffled over in the bed, making room for him to lie down next to me. Julian got up and stretched out on the bed, careful of the tubes hooked into me. I reached over once he was settled, brushing my fingers through his curls.

"Where are my parents?"

"At home," he replied. "They stay here in the day."

I nodded, "and what's going on here? What's the story?"

Julian looked at me swiftly, "you got kidnapped, drugged so you don't remember anything, and I happened to find you."

"That's it?"

"That's all you have to know," he kissed the side of my head. "Let me take care of the rest."

"Okay. . ." I said, deciding to let it go. Julian's warmth was welcome in the cold of the hospital, and I ached to be at home in bed, with his arms around me under the covers. Yet, I was here in an itchy hospital gown, with needles stuck in me, Julian was next to me, and I was happy.

I huddled closer to him.

"Do you remember much?" He asked, voice strained.

"Not much. . ." I mumbled, thinking back to the darkness. "I was drugged--"

"The doctors don't know what it was. They said it might have some lasting effects."

"That's okay," I said, grateful that was the only permanent damage. "It's fine."

Julian grunted, and I knew it wouldn't be the end of that matter. To distract him I brought up something that had been on my mind since I opened my eyes, "I know what he wants to do with me, how to use me to open the Gate."

"You do?"

"Yes, and you're not going to like it. He told me when he has to do it, too."

"Then when--?"

"But first," I cut him off, "can we establish something?"

Julian frowned, brown eyes suspicious. "What, baby?"

"You, Julian Jones," I poked his chest playfully, "can't even live a week without me, never mind a thousand years! Therefore, you'll have to stay with me for the next a thousand years, okay?"

His lips twitched. "I'm not arguing with that, ma'am."

"Good," I smiled brightly, pleased. "Can I have a kiss now?"

Julian's curled lip turned into a broad smile so beautiful it stunned me. "I'm not arguing with that either, ma'am."

And with that, he bent his head down and pressed his lips to mine. When I felt them, warm and familiar, the rush inside my body was so powerful I knew that even if I loved him for my whole human life, I'd still love him for a thousand more years after that.

Julian's Father's words echoed in my mind, reminding me that he would be back. But as Julian's arms came around me, I kissed him with all the strength I had left, and I knew I was safe.

I knew I was home.