Present 2 ♡ Escápate Conmigo

The wedding ceremony was so moving that even I was going to start believing in true love.

But I was pleased to report that my cynicism remained intact. I was sure that this kind of miracle was possible for certain people, those who had trained their hearts during their lives to flex the muscles that opened them up to letting others in. You know, the kind of people who grew up with examples of love all around them

It wasn't for me.

That was the mantra that resonated in my mind as the bridal party waited to enter the church. The guy beside me showed me pictures of his kids, all with the same chubby and pink cheeks that he had. They were an adorable family, and I had no doubt that his kids would grow up to be as nice as their dad. The only couple in front of us was the best man and maid of honor. Estelle was visibly flustered as she linked her arm through Miguel's. She'd already admitted under the influence of mimosas that if she weren't engaged already, he'd be the bachelor to beat other bitches with a stick for. Her words, not mine.

Because that was the hottest topic of conversation after the bride and groom, the fact that the best man didn't come with a plus one.

As the church doors opened and we started our ascent into the altar steps, my mantra shifted into he's not for me.

I'd worked myself into a pissy mood that way, to the point that where everybody else shed tears at the vows that the bride and groom exchanged, I remained with a placid and stony smile on my face. When the reception finally started, I hit the cocktail bar hard.

"Addy! Come take pictures with me, let's show off your creations," my newlywed best friend said.

The photographer struggled with keeping us glamorous. It didn't matter what the backdrop was, an amazing sunset, elaborate flower arrangements, the cake, it all faded out of focus because of the fact that we couldn't stop giggling.

"Who would have imagined?" she asked at some point, while the photographer changed the lens. She looked at the new ring in her hand. "Married."

"Pff, I did. You guys were practically married since we were in high school."

Page's expression shifted into unexpected nostalgia. "For a while I didn't know if we were going to make it."

After college they'd got jobs across the country, Jace in Seattle and Page in New York, and it had been a rough few years where other people tried to come into the picture and take away Page and Jace's happily ever after. But in the end, they made it. Page sacrificed a lucrative job to move to one with less responsibility and excitement, but much closer to Jace. They moved together, made it work, and although I knew she regretted the setback to her career, she didn't for a second doubt it was the right decision. Her heart belonged to her husband, after all.

I wondered what that felt like, to want to be with someone and support them so much that you were willing to give up things that were important to you.

Estelle asked everybody to please take their seats for the toasts by the best man and maid of honor, followed by the dinner. I tossed back the rest of my drink and walked around, looking for my name. I found it on one of the tables closest to the celebrated couple. After I took a seat, I looked at the names besides my seat and cursed.

When I twisted around to glare at Page, she gave me the sweetest smile.

So much for yesterday's apologies!

The stiff smile came back to me as the Bernals and Charlie's boyfriend took their seats around me. My escort during the ceremony and his wife joined us, as well as one more lady from the bridal party who had come without company.