Chapter 14: A Fancy Ball

We've been here for ten minutes, and already I can't stand where I am. Everywhere Octavia and I are walking, all these people are blabbering about clothing, gossip, business deals, and heaven know what else. Half the time, it's hard to know what they're even saying because their accents sound so over the top compared to Octavia's or her parents. Heck, even my mocking impression of accent is probably easier to understand than how these people are talking.

"Octavia, how much can you understand from their accents?" I ask.

Octavia chuckles at my question and says, "I know it can be tricky to understand them. Lord knows it was hard for me on my first time here. It's something that takes years of practice I'm afraid."

"Octavia? Is that you, young lady?"

We turn around to see a woman in her late 50s wearing a long dark blue dress and glasses.

"Oh, Mrs. Set, how are you?" Octavia says with a fake smile, both she and the woman clasped hands and kiss each side of their cheeks.

"It feels like it's been forever since your family moved," Mrs. Set says before she turns to me. "And who might you be, young man?"

"Oh yes, this is my boyfriend, Rough Draft," Octavia answers.

"How do you do, ma'am?" I politely ask as I offer her my hand, but Mrs. Set stares at me skeptically, raising her eyebrow.

"My, you're certainly not from around here, are you?" She says.

"Uh, no ma'am, I'm actually from Canterlot, a suburb not far from Crystal City," I answer calmly.

"Well, that would explain it," Mrs. Set says in an amused tone. "You're supposed to bow a little when you introduce yourself. My dear Octavia, I'm surprised your boyfriend doesn't know about this."

"Oh silly me," Octavia says with a fake chuckle. "I seem to have forgotten to tell Rough Draft when I was teaching him how to act in a ball."

"Oh pish posh, that's no excuse," Mrs. Set says, waving her hand. "Why if my dear son, Jet Set, knew that there is someone in here who greets someone this way at this ball, he'd have a fit even though he despises this ball."

Ah, so this is the mother of that guy, Jet Set, huh? That figures.

"Uh...yeah, my apologies Mrs. Set, I meant no disrespect," I say quickly with a little bow.

"Hmm, well, at least you're smart enough to have some manners. Good evening, Octavia," Mrs. Set says as she turns around and leaves.

"Bye, Mrs. Set," Octavia calls out as Mrs. Set leaves before she hisses in my ear, "Bow! Bow! I've told you this a million times!"

"Sorry. It's a force of habit to act like a normal person," I defend.

Octavia scoffs at my response. "Well, hopefully, you've learned your lesson for the next time."

I was about to say I did when something catches my eye. Principal Celestia and Vice Principal Luna are walking towards us. Principal Celestia is wearing a dark green and black dress and has a calm demeanor while Vice Principal Luna is wearing a violet dress following behind her older sister with a glass of champagne in one hand and a weary yet annoyed look on her face.

"Principal Celestia? Vice Principal Luna?" Octavia says, noticing the two sisters herself. Principal Celestia responds a smile.

"Well, if it isn't Octavia Melody and Rough Draft," she says. "What a surprise to see a couple of our students here."

"Oh yes, what a *hic* surprise or whatever," Vice Principal Luna says in a tipsy yet dismal tone.

"Yeah, we're here with Octavia's parents," I explain. "What about you two? I didn't know you guys would be here."