| Chapter XXII | one hell of a party

Odette made it just in time to get ready for tonight's party without Joan knowing she was ever gone

When they got to the Sirens, their eyes went wide, this place was beautiful with the lights and decorations, yet scary with all the people there. It reminded them of the parties they would go to as children. They used to be more social back then. 

Odette separated from Joan with the excuse of needing to go to the bathroom, though in actuality she went to find Edward.

"Hello, Edward. Is everything ready?"

"Everything is coming into place. All there's left to do is confront Butch. You ready?"

"Actually I'm going to be looking for my father, see if he shows up somewhere in the crowd. I hope that's alright."

"Oh, of course. Good luck with your father, I know how much you've missed him."

"Thank you, and thank you for today too. I've been feeling like the most useless tool in the shed recently and being able to help you has been the greatest thing to happen to me."

She turns to leave but Edward stops her.

"I really couldn't have done it without you, Odette."

She gives a grateful smile.

"You look lovely by the way, I'm sure you're father will be delighted to see you."

Odette blushes as she walks back to Joan.

Together they walk around with fake smiles and have occasional small talk. One of those people was Alfred Pennyworth, who struck a small conversation with the twins.

"Miss Coldwells, it's a pleasure seeing you. I doubt you remember much of me."

"Mr. Pennyworth, right?"

He nodded.

"I'm sorry, we don't. Should we?"

"I used to watch over you when your parents would come over to Wayne Manor."

"You knew our mother?"

"She and Martha Wayne were good friends."

"Really?"

"We weren't aware she had friends."

"Well, if there's anything the two of you need, I'd be glad to lend a hand."

"Thank you, Mr. Pennyworth."

"We appreciate it."

They continue on their search to find their father, but with no luck. Sadly they didn't find their father in the ocean of people. Defeatedly they stand by a wall, with sadden looks on their faces. Tonight wasn't going as they had hoped

Then a song started, with one of tonight's singers on stage.

"In the land of gods and monsters
I was an angel
Living in the garden of evil"