What It's Whispering About

September 3, 1943.

Loop Day Number: 28110.

Present Year: 2015

Fiona's breathing was ragged. She could feel Claire's erratic heart beating against her chest.

'What's it waiting for?' She thought.

Turning ever so slowly back, Fiona could see the biscuits rising from the napkin, hovering six inches above the ground before shooting upwards and vanishing in a shower of crumbs.

She released her protective grip from Claire as she openly stared at the hollowghast, which was contenting itself with their picnic refreshments rather than their peculiar eyes.

"What are you doing?" Fiona asked it.

There was a sound, something like a cross between a lion's growl and a kitten's purr. Another biscuit vanished.

"...what is going on!?"

Fiona whirled around back to Claire.

"I know you had a hand in this! What is it doing here!?" Fiona shrieked.

Claire shrugged, grinning.

"This isn't funny!"

Something poked Fiona in the back. She whirled around to see the remaining biscuit hovering in front of her.

It dropped gently into her palm.

She dropped it onto the napkin. "I don't want your stupid biscuit."

There was another sound this time, like a question.

"I don't trust you." Fiona explained, folding her arms defensively over her chest.

There was another sound, a sad whine.

Claire tapped Fiona's shoulder, tentatively. 

"What? No way you're going to convince me that this...thing should stay."

Claire nodded, and Fiona noticed some of that fierce determination from before resurfacing. 

"Fine. Do what you will; I'm not going to budge."

Claire brightened and smiled. The Hollow growled its approval as well.

Claire walked off the picnic blanket towards the flattened patch of grass were the Hollowghast was sitting. Fiona watched her, keeping one nervous eye on the Hollow's shadow--its only visible part.

Abruptly, Claire stopped.

She raised her arms outward, little hands outstretched.

Before she could blink, Claire shot into the air, suddenly becoming a quick blur of pink frills and gold curls.

Fiona screamed.

Claire turned, quizzically, suspended in mid-air. She was six feet above the ground.

Fiona gasped. "H-how?"

Claire smiled and turned back forward. She cupped her hands and whispered something.

The Hollow grunted, understandingly. 

With a jerk, the little Peculiar was launched upward, far from the ground.

Claire squealed, excitedly.

After a moment, gravity came back into play, dragging the little girl back towards the grassy forest floor before invisible tongues snaked their way around the girl's waist, stopping her fall.