twenty two

Vanessa

"Okay, I think you've made enough unnecessary drama with Luke, V," Jess said, handing me one of her sweaters.

"I wasn't making anything," I huffed, tossing the sweater on her bed.

"There's obviously something going on if Luke, who hates me, is coming to me for advice and help on why his girlfriend is avoiding him," as she spoke, she picked up the sweater and shoved it toward me, pushing me into her bathroom. "now try on the damn sweater."

"Jess, you know I hate sweaters unless they're made a certain way," I whined, stomping my foot.

"Don't change subjects, just your clothes," she pushed me in the bathroom and shut the door. "so tell me, what's going through your mind?"

"Nothing is," I told her, reluctantly taking off my sweatshirt and pulling the ridiculous looking sweater over my head.

"Well, if Luke is telling me that you won't even go near him, something must be going on," I stared at the mirror, fidgeting with the bottom of the fabric. "besides, you know you have to be with him tonight since your mom set up that giant dinner party that everyone and their attractive brother is attending." I rolled my eyes.

"I'd rather attend my job," I opened the door and, very unenthusiastically, showed off my attire.

"It looks better on you than me," she swooned, smiling big. "you're wearing that black dress I got you over summer tonight, right?"

"I guess," I mumbled, pulling on my sleeve. "I really do not wanna go, since the last party I went to I completely shattered everything between Mom and I."

"Does she know you're creating nonexistent problems between you and Luke?" Jess was back in her closet, pulling out millions of sweaters and tossing them on her bed.

"No, she keeps grumbling about how Michael would make such a better boyfriend than Luke," I watched a blue one fly through the air and land on the forming pile in the middle of her bed.

"Yes . . . ?"

"He has been after you for years," she groaned, laying her forehead on the closet door.

"He has? I thought he loved making fun of me?"

"He doesn't express feelings well," she moved to her bed, picking up the blue sweater and tossed it to me. "try that one." I let it fall to my feet, unwilling to try on anymore dumb sweaters.

"Seriously, V."

"Jess, I'm hungry."

"You're always hungry. Try that then I'll feed you."

"But I don't wanna!" I pouted, folding my arms. She sighed, walking over and picking it up, yanking me into the bathroom.

"I swear, it's like you're seven," she grumbled, pulling off the sweater I had on then pulled the blue one on me. "it looks pretty on you." She adjusted the sleeves, collar, and middle like Mom use to when I was younger. Come to think of it, Jess was like Mom, always making sure that I was taken care of and that I didn't do anything stupid. It was weird, actually.

"You should know what I'm like when I'm hungry," I said, swinging my arms.

"Yes, you're grumpy and chidlish and you refuse to do anything until you've eaten," she smiled. "the sweater looks amazing." I looked down at it then glanced back at the mirror. I guess it looked alright. "Maybe I should invite Luke over so you two can actually be around each other."

"If you'd like to," I started pulling off the sweater, tossing it on the ground with the other one, and pulled my sweatshirt back on. At least my clothes aren't itchy.