Chapter 28

Chapter 28

Strafe

We stood on the platform, then knelt down in front of thousands. We all hugged and listened to Charity, "Alright chaps, this is it! We have the chance to usher in a new era of Brave-Ball and make our mark in history! This is for all of us! Don't take any moment for granted and remember that nobody in their right mind thought we had a chance to make it here! Let's make sure they don't ever second guess us again!"

"HO HUM!!!" we all chanted.

Before we could blink we were being shot across the field. This was my best chance to find Yessa and to make things right. I would play with every last ounce of my strength until they had to scrape me off the floor if need be.

We collided with the Castel Bell Royal squad making a rather harsh thud. Players from both teams were getting smacked and knocked to the ground. I grabbed my back in pain after some hard hits. Whether or not their armor was fake, it sure did hurt to be hit by them.

I looked up and saw they'd recovered the ball and passed it back to their Masterback. The Castle Bell Royal Guards were already streaking down the field and our guards had to catch up to them. Roya had her assignment covered but the other Wings were quickly out-paced. Our players ran at full speed but with a quick flick of the Masterback's wrist, the ball sailed smoothly into one of the Wing's hands, right in the Goal Zone.

"Damn it!" I scolded myself as I slapped my leg. I was pissed.

"Don't worry, Strafe-Sah, we have begun just only!" Roya assured as she ran by.

"I know. I know," I was winded from running.

We lined up to receive the ball after they made the extra point. The ball came down and our Dodger caught it, she then quickly passed it back to Charity. Our Forwards led the charge but were bulldozed by Castle Bell's defense, who pushed them back on their asses. Thinking fast, Charity tossed the ball into the air at the 35-yard mark. Our Dodger saw what Charity was trying to do and jumped up to take a kick at it. The opposing Masterback and Dodger had also closed in on the ball but our Dodger did a bicycle kick and smashed it toward the floating goal. Even though Castle Bell's Masterback got a hand on it, we scored the three points. The game was 3-7.

"WOO HOO!!!" our Dodger shouted.

The score stayed the same for the rest of the first quarter and halfway into the second. It was taking everything we had just to keep up with these guys. Every time we got hit it looked and sounded like a hit from a sledgehammer. We were constantly fighting over possession, and with each big hit the crowd cheered and stood on the edge of their seats. Most of the people supported Castel Bell Royal, but a few of them represented us too.

It wasn't until the middle of the second that the tables turned. Castle Bell Royal had the ball in their territory and was driving it down the field. Their Forwards were running all over ours and the Masterback simply had to run behind them to move the ball downfield. Seeing this unfold, our Dodger and Charity decided to make a desperate run at the opposing Masterback to strip the ball. They came at the Masterback from the left and right side of the Forward's line and were going to make it happen.

Knowing this, the Masterback motioned the Guards to run their formations and get ready for a pass. The Wings charged me at full speed but our Forwards stepped to the side and slowed them down. With the other two Wings covered, the opposing Masterback had no choice but to toss it up and hope I would get burned by my Wing.

As the Masterback threw the ball up toward the Wing I was covering, Charity managed to get a hand on it, making it lose some distance. It came down short. Roya made a quick pivot and jumped in the air to catch it; it fell right into her hands and the crowd went wild. She was the crowd favorite hands down.