Chapter 1: Welcome to the island!

"Ha! You like it Hani? It's our new home! Oh, you like it don't you?" The baby giggled as I tickled his stomach, cooing and receiving a bunch of babbling nonsense in return. 

      Yeah, recently- I've been going a little overboard with the whole parenting thing but he doesn't have a mother or Grandparents. All he has is me. And this one-bedroom apartment. And I feel guilty. Because this kid deserves everything in the entire fucking world! And instead, he's got asshole grandparents, a mother who doesn't want him, and a 17-year-old father who can barely afford to keep the two of them afloat. SO. I feel like I need to give the kid all the love I can.

Right now, my main goal is to try and start unpacking everything that I got shipped over from the US (which cost HELLA money). And try and get everything organized by the end of the night. But before that can happen, I have to build Hani's crib so he can take a nap while I get to work..
But before THAT can happen, I have to get out his baby walker so I can start building the crib.
Jesus, this is gonna be a long night...

- -

I had managed to get everything in place, most of it being Hani's, really. His toy bucket and adorable little dresser were in the closet along with my clothes. His changing station next to the door and his crib sat in the living room. After the very exhausting night, I felt like I was gonna collapse to the floor or have a stroke or something! But unfortunately..that would be very unfatherly. So I gathered all my strength and dragged by lazy ass off the couch.
I guzzled down a Red Bull, which lately has become a daily ritual then grabbed some baby food out of the mini fridge. I still don't have everything figured out when it comes to kitchen appliances.
I set up a little area on the living room floor and began feeding mushed carrots to Hani.
I watched as he ate the entire jar with ease.
I watched as Hani puked the entire jar into my shirt.
Then after setting him down again and getting myself cleaned up, I settled on a warm bottle of formula.
I watched as he cried, twisting in my arms, knocking the bottle out of my hands with his tiny foot.
...

Back to the mini fridge!

I got him calmed down again and sat playing with him for a little. He was playing with my iPad and laughing his ass off even though it wasn't even turned on. The only technology I brought was my phone and my I-pad, for Hani. The reason I say 'only' is because no one really uses stuff like that. They have TVs and phones, yeah, but they'd much rather be traveling the island, actually DOING things! Something I still haven't gotten a chance to do.
When I came to, he was making bubbles with his saliva, which was gross yet oddly the cutest thing in the entire fucking world. When his bubble popped, he looked surprised as if he didn't know where it came from, then almost tipped over from his laughing.
I caught him before he could go anywhere and shoved his binky in to quite him.
I opened the camera in my phone and grinned as I took a picture.

like I said. Cutest thing you've ever seen.

- -

The next morning, I headed straight to the daycare I had looked at when I decided to move us down here. Having to leave Hani for a full day to be taken care of by a bunch of strangers did suck, but I had to meet the managers of the jobs that I had already applied for, since I won't have time to tomorrow, with school and everything. So after taking a tour of the building and eyeing the handlers over and over again, making sure they would take care of my Hani with their lives! I gave him a kiss on the forehead and ran for my car.
Well, it wasn't actually my car, I was just renting it for the time being. It is a white Camry and it's the cheapest car I could find. Rent.
I tried searching for Jobs that were closer to the daycare so I could come to check up on Hani whenever I needed to but the jobs I ended up finding that had good hours and decent pay were..well a little farther away then I would have liked. The first one was a poolside recreation staff at the Malaui Resort, which I'm gonna start working during the week. And the second was a weekend Host at Three's Bar and Grill. Which is even farther away.
Each time I went in , it was almost as though I was getting interviewed. Even though I already had the job, which honestly scared the crap out of me. They couldn't take it away from me, right? Because I..already have the job?
"Aloha, Kalani. Welcome. My names Ano Haku and I am your new boss..heh, and I can tell your nervous. You have nothing to worry about kid, trust me. You'll be starting your training tomorrow, as scheduled during your first shift. I just wanted to meet beforehand to discuss your..situation."
Haaa...of course he did..
"Yeah, I know it's a little..confusing and deranged and..what is it exactly you wanted to talk about..?"
"Well, Kalani. You definitely have a lot on your plate. Your still in high school, you live all on your own, your working two jobs while also raising your son. Not to mention on an island you've never been before. That seems like a lot."
"A-It's..definitely not how I saw my life going. But I wouldn't change it. I-I mean I would! I would want my parents in my life and for Hani to have his mother but..that's not how it works sadly.."
"Look, I understand this is none of my business and I have been told I tend to barge in on other people's private lives but I just want to make sure you're okay. I know what it's like to be a parent and how difficult it can be. And your new to being an adult and everything and I just want to know, as your manager, if there is anything I can do to make this transition easier?"
Holy shit..
"Um..thank you. For the offer. It's sad..really how the only person I can talk to is my boss. Ah, no offense! I just...I'm not okay. Nothing is okay. I mean, my son isn't even 10 months and I've already managed to screw up his childhood, possibly his entire life. And there's nothing I can do to fix it."
"It's clear how much you love him. Just keep doing that."
This dude is wise. As. Hell.
I smiled and gave a little nod.
"I think we're gonna get along just fine."