Chapter 22

"Soooo, did you bring a weapon? Like, you know, in case your dad is actually there?" Em asked as we walked down the dimly lit streets. She stood in between me and David.

"Yeah, it's in the backpack. It's a small knife and pepper spray." I said as I reached in my backpack to show her. I started walking faster as I noticed the familiar houses. Shadow went ahead of us, probably already at the house.

Once we arrived at the house, I could see Shadow waiting impatiently at the door, ready to open it. Strangely enough, when we arrived not a single sound could be heard. The rustling of leaves stopped, along with the wind.

Crack!

Emilia jumped up and let out a squeal before clutching my hand. "W-Why don't we go home? After all, it's way too early for this," she said.

"What? Are you chickening out? Heh, don't worry Em. It's probably just a squirrel. Now come on." I said as I turned the doorknob, dragging Em in with me. David followed close behind, holding a flashlight just in case.

I reached for the light switch and turned on the lights. Good, the lights still work. I thought as I grabbed my pepper spray out and gave it to Em. I grabbed my pocket knife and held it in front of me. Shadow floated in front of me, eagerly searching the bottom floor.

I followed Shadow around the floor, Em and David close behind. Not a single word was ushered during the whole ordeal. Once the downstairs was checked, Shadow zoomed upstairs.

As I walked up the stairs I signaled for Em and David to follow. Just as I reached the top step, I could hear Shadow curse.

"G̸͟͞o̸͟͞d̸͟͞ d̸͟͞a̸͟͞m̸͟͞m̸͟͞i̸͟͞t̸͟͞! T̸͟͞h̸͟͞e̸͟͞ b̸͟͞a̸͟͞s̸͟͞t̸͟͞a̸͟͞r̸͟͞d̸͟͞ k̸͟͞i̸͟͞l̸͟͞l̸͟͞e̸͟͞d̸͟͞ h̸͟͞i̸͟͞m̸͟͞s̸͟͞e̸͟͞l̸͟͞f̸͟͞ b̸͟͞e̸͟͞f̸͟͞o̸͟͞r̸͟͞e̸͟͞ I̸͟͞ c̸͟͞o̸͟͞u̸͟͞l̸͟͞d̸͟͞! W̸͟͞h̸͟͞a̸͟͞t̸͟͞ a̸͟͞ c̸͟͞o̸͟͞w̸͟͞a̸͟͞r̸͟͞d̸͟͞!" Shadow screamed.

I quickly turned on the lights and followed to where I heard Shadow. John's room. I stopped in front of his room, hesitantly hovering my hand over the knob. Calm down Mel, you're probably going to see a dead body. But hey, at least it's someone that you've wanted for a while. I thought before grabbing the doorknob. David wrapped his hand around mine as I turned to look at him.

"You don't have to open it. If you want, I'll do it." He said. I looked him in the eye before nodding. I slipped my hand out from below his as I walked back to Em. I took a deep breath as Em held onto me, shaking.

David opened the door slowly, turning on the lights before walking in. I slowly followed him in with Em, but he stopped us as he held out his arm. "David what's wrong? It's okay if I see it, I'll be fine." I asked, trying to peek over his shoulder. I leaned over him, jumping a little, trying to catch a glimpse at possibly John's body.

I pushed him out of the way, stomping in. I stopped dead in my tracks. Right in front of me, hanged John's mangled body, tied to the fan by a belt.