Ch. 1 The Boy

Twelve years, it was twelve years ago, the Belmont boy was found on the side of road an early fall morning. He was tired, dirty, smelly from lack of hygiene, covered in patches of scraps and scratches and it looked as though his nose was broken.

In short he wasn't in the best of shape for fourteen year old.

It was a sympathetic sight, truly. And because of such emotion a kind patron can across the boy. Their heart wept seeing him and without a second thought, scooped him in their arms, laid him in the back of their wagon among the items. Made sure the boy was fine, then went and collected his this to bring back.

The smell, it was warm and robust and smooth, filled the Belmont's nose waking him. At first his vision was fuzzy, he could barely make anything out other than he was some place indoors. A cottage maybe he saw wooden support beams, the hearth just a couple feet away as his vision became clearer.

Over the cracking fire hang over and giving off that delicious scent that erupted a growl from his stomach, a iron lidded pot.

Next to it three bowels stacked on one another, with three spoons.

"Ah, you're awake!"

A bright chimed. "I'm so glad."

The boy went stiff for moment, whipped his head around find the owner of the voice.

A girl. At least twelve. She was lean, wearing a simple brown long skirt and a white blouse. Her brown feet where bare, she was completely brown skin wise, not really brown but it reminded him of same color of a tree.

She had the biggest smile he'd ever seen, stretching from ear to ear on her face, it lite up her cute heat shape face and her bright amber eyes that twinkled. Her thick bushy dark wine colored hair was pulled back into bun with some loose strands framing her face.

The boy continued staring at her, his eyes and head followed her walking to the hearth, open the lid, pick up the ladle that hung on a hook outside and next to the hearth, dip it in and began filling the bowls.

All while talking.

"You must no doubt be hungry," she said, "when father brought you back, I wasn't sure if you'd be alright. But, father's faith and blessing brought you well. It was quite a miracle really. Father's prayers always work. He-"

She was quite a talker, the boy took notice. He felt she was drowning him with her words. It was hard for his face not to fall, so he lowered his eyes and noticed right away his clothes! They've been changed! Into a long tunic.

Startled by this finding didn't got unnoticed. The girl finished filling the bowls, turned around with both in hand, saw his reaction.

She giggle. "Oh, don't worry. You're clothes are just being cleaned. I washing them. They are quite dirty. Smelly too. Like a tavern."

The boy's cheeks went a burning red. She laughed, walking over, and handed him his bowl.

He took, it was so warm, bits and pieces
Potatoes and other vegetables bobbed slowly to the top of the creamy white soup. He caught a few chunks of meat that smelled heavenly.

When was the last time he had a meal like this? Oh, that's right.

With his stomach growling wanting the food, he took the spoon, filled it, and in gulp swallowed it. It went dow rich and taste red remained permanent on his cheeks. In a matter of seconds he finished the whole thing.

"You must have been hungry," she laughed. "I barely started. It's alright," she rose taking his bowl. "I'll get you some more."

He watched go back to the pot, during which he looked around. It was a cottage, the interior was homey and comfortable, a table a couple of feet away for dinner it was a decent size sitting up to four maybe six, it had a basket of hearty apples and greens in bowl to decorate the middle. A bookshelf moderately filled with books. Some he couldn't make out.