Chapter twenty-nine

Billie steps out on stage as the cheers reach a deafening volume, my grin widening at the sight of her back where she's happiest. I can't help but watch her carefully as she jumps around, crossing everything in hopes that she doesn't end up with another sprained ankle.

"PSYCH BITCH!" She screams and the crowd goes crazy, rising up off the ground and jumping into the air. Billie hops along with them, keeping the weight off her injured leg.

The excitement and energy is infectious, and I dance along to the music with Maggie beside me getting everything on camera.

A smile grows on my face as I watch Finneas take his guitar solo at the end of "all the good girls go to hell", and Billie catches my eye with a wink that makes me blush.

They move back to the centre of the stage as the next song beings and continue to sing, and I watch them with pride.

Eventually both Billie and Finneas sit on the bed off to the side of the stage, and the pair are slowly lifted into the air, sat side by side, overlooking the masses in front of them, people of all ages already sobbing their hearts out.

"We write everything together, he produces all of my music. And this song we're about to do, we wrote on a bed in my room just like this, at like 2am. So we wanted to perform it for you the way we wrote it." Billie says into the microphone, her voice partially drowned out by the cries of people in the crowd. "So.. yeah."

"It's not true, tell me I've been lied to, crying isn't like you." Billie begins to sing, her delicate voice filling the space entirely.

"Maybe won't you take it back
Say you were tryna make me laugh
And nothing has to change today
You didn't mean to say "I love you"
I love you but I want to
Oh-oh-oh."

The change in lyrics doesn't go unnoticed by the audience, and the previous broken hearted silence that once filled the air is quickly replaced by desperate screams.

My gaze snaps away from the sea of faces, catching Billie's eyes that were already focused on me.

She continues to sing, her eyes gradually drifting back to the people around her but I feel as though I'm stuck in a daze, not exactly sure what to think.

The start of "Ocean eyes" begins to play and Billie is once again back on the ground, but I can barely focus on the music. She avoids my stare for the rest of the concert, her entire focus on the performance.

Eventually the confusion disappears to the back of my mind, and I immerse myself in the music and the sound of Billie's voice.

Once again, she says her routine goodbyes and jogs off stage with Finneas a few steps ahead of her, running straight into my arms. "That was amazing Bil!" I tell her excitedly, smiling at the tired grin on her face.

"Thanks, love." She says, her previous arrogance gone.

"Come on." I say, pulling her along with me back to the green room so she can relax. She flops down onto the couch and pulls me on top of her, connecting our lips softly, and my hands automatically find their way into her hair.

Her hands slowly slide down my back and I shake my head, knowing where this was headed.

"Not here. Not now." I say, gently but firmly pushing away from her.

"Why not?" She whimpers and I almost cave, but her tiredly hooded eyes encourage me to slide off her lap onto the space next to her. I quickly fix her hair which is now even messier than it was right after the concert.

"Because now is not the time." I say simply and she nods, leaning forward and tucking her head under my chin.

We sit in silence for a few minutes, and I hear Billie's breathing eventually begin to slow, heavy with tiredness.

"Sleep Billie," I urge "we have time."

She mumbles incoherently in response, making me smile. She slumps against my chest and I wrap my arms around her tightly, listening to the sound of soft snores escaping her lips.

Her exhaustion undoubtedly concerns me, and I make a mental note to make sure she gets enough sleep from now on.

Finneas barges in to the room a second later and I shush him quickly, scared he'd wake up Billie. Noting her sleeping state, he slows his steps and collapses on to the nearest armchair.

We sit in comfortable silence, and I absentmindedly run my fingers through Billie's hair, my eyelids starting to close.

"You're good for her, you know." Finneas says suddenly, making my head snap up.

"What?"

"You make her happy, and I just want you to know that no matter what happens between you and Billie, you will always have this family's love and support." He tells me, the absolute sincerity evident in his voice.

The double meaning in his words are hard to miss, and it's obvious that Billie and I hadn't been as subtle as we thought we had been.

"Thank you." I murmur sincerely.

A second later Finneas gets a call and quietly excuses himself from the room to answer it. He leans down and kisses Billie forehead, then mine and is just about to exit the room when he turns, holding the door open.

"And Erin?" He calls.

"Yeah?"

"Just remember, if I ever hear that Billie hasn't been treating you right, she'll have me to answer to." Finneas says with a grin, finally letting the door swing shut.

Looking down at the angel asleep in my arms, Finneas' words still echo in my head. I lean back against the couch, realizing that maybe I was a lot more loved than I had thought I was.

A/N: just in case anyone was wondering, all attempts at a proper timeline has gone down the drain. I'm pretty much just naming random countries in any order for Billie to perform in tbh. It's definitely based during the wwafawdwg tour but that's about all I can say 😂 hope that's not too confusing.

But anyway, thank you all for reading! Don't forget to vote, comment and share.

Much love, Isabel 💕

P.S is it psych or sike? I have no idea I just guessed lmao.