chapter two: gym class heroes

(a.n. this chapter takes place later the same day as chapter one.)

lauren's pov:

i was sitting in third period math class, listening to Mrs. Hunt, my math teacher, talk about angles of triangles, when i felt something hit my feet. it was a note. i picked it up and turned around to see who it could be from. i saw eddie looking at the note, then me, then quickly look away when he saw i was looking.

after comparing schedules, we found that eddie and i had a lot of classes together. we had math, science, and English together. We also had lunch together, along with the rest of the losers. we also figured out that he lived a block away from me.

i picked up the note that read "Hi". i wrote back "Hey" and threw it back to him when the teacher wasn't looking. a minute later i felt something hit my feet again. another note. this time it said "how's your first day going?" we continued to have a conversation by writing notes. i learned that his group of friends i met was called the Loser's Club, and a lot of other stuff. before we could send anymore notes, the bell rang.

next was P.E, which i hated at my old school. i was just hoping it wouldn't suck today. i didn't see what would happen next coming.

i went into the girls' locker room to change into my jersey and gym shorts that went to your mid thighs. i put on tennis shoes and put my hair up into a high ponytail and left the locker room.

after doing warmups and stretching, the P.E. teacher announced that the boy and girl classes would combine for soccer. the boys and girls went outside and the teacher read that i would be on a team with Eddie. there were also lots of athletes on my team, which meant i almost never got to participate in the game. "Pass!" i cried "I'm open!" But the jocks kept the ball to themselves.

Finally, one of the nicer jocks passed it me. my eyes were full of determination, never leaving the ball, except to see Eddie smiling and giving me a thumbs up. i went to shoot the ball into the opposing team's goal when wham!someone ran straight into me.

i fell over hard, landing on my leg, then face planting. It hurt like hell. i rolled over so i was on my back. i saw everyone running past me, continuing the game. Coach didn't give two shits. Then i saw Eddie running over to me.

i groaned. "Are you okay?!" he asked frantically.

"yeah," i replied, "i guess so."

"Where does it hurt?" he asked. The better question was where didn't it hurt?

"Mainly my right leg but head hurts too."

"ok. let me tell coach, and I'll take you to the nurse's office."

"Thanks" i replied, trying my best to smile. Eddie smiled back.

While Eddie was gone, Richie came over. "Woah!" he exclaimed, "What happened to you?"

"I'm not exactly sure," i said "One second I was running with the ball, the next I'm laying on the ground in pain."

"Ouch," he said, "Are you alright?"

"yeah," i replied, "I'll be fine." he helped me sit up and sat with me while i waited for Eddie to come back.

"So...it's lauren right?" he asked. "

Yeah," i replied, "You're Richie right?"

"The one and only!" he said, making me laugh. we talked for a little while longer until Eddie came back.

"Coach said we're free to go." said Eddie. i tried to get up, but immediately collapsed. Eddie and Richie looked at me worriedly.

"So," Richie said, "you can't stand." he said it as a statement, not a question.

"No, I'm fine." i said, trying to stand up, "A little help please?" Eddie and Richie helped me up. "See?" i said trying not to grimace in pain, "I'm fine!".

"Well you might be able to stand, but you definitely can't walk." Eddie said sternly.

"We'll help you!" Richie said smiling. Before i could object, Richie scooped me up into bridal position.

"This is so embarrassing!" i said, "Come on! Will you please put me down?"

"Nope!" he said, trying not to laugh. And he didn't put me down. He carried me, Eddie walking beside us, until we got to a row of lockers. what i didn't see was eddie clenching his fists as he walked beside us.

richie set me down on the cool floor next to a locker. "Uh what are we doing here?" i asked.

Eddie began opening a locker and said, "School nurses don't do anything."

"Yeah," i said, "But what are we doing-" i shut up when i saw the pile of supplies Eddie was holding in his arms, smiling. my jaw dropped.

"So you just always keep that stuff in your locker?" i asked.

"And his fanny pack!" Richie said laughing. Eddie's face got red.

"I think it's cool," i said, not wanting Eddie to feel embarrassed, "Always be prepared!" i smiled. He smiled back graciously.

"ok let's go fix you up in the old bathroom by the copy room. No one over goes in there." Richie said.

"ok," i said, "But I am not getting carried this time!" They laughed and helped me up. i held onto them like crutches as i limped to the bathroom.

When we finally got there, i sat on the bathroom tile and Eddie put his supplies down. Richie sat down beside me as Eddie wet a cotton ball. Eddie started to gently wipe the blood off my leg and face, then wrapped my leg with a bandage.

there was an awkward silence between the three of us until richie said, "lauren, do you want to sit with us and the losers at lunch?" i was beyond happy. i had to use every muscle in the body to keep myself from smiling like an idiot.

"oh well i don't want to intrude..." i said.

"you wouldn't be intruding!" richie said.

"yeah, the losers loved you this morning!" eddie added.

"well in that case," i said happily, "i would love to sit with you guys!" i smiled at them and they smiled back. i no longer cared if i smiled like an idiot. i was too happy to care.

when eddie finished tending to my injuries, there was only five minutes left of class, so we went back to the locker rooms to change. lunch was next. i was a little nervous, but also really excited.

as the three of us walked to the cafeteria together, the butterflies in my stomach came back. what if they didn't like me?  i thought. i tried to brush the thought away as we got our lunches.

we spotted bill and stan sitting at a round table in the back of the room and walked over to them. "hi guys!" eddie said.

"h-hey!" bill said and smiled. i smiled back at him and Stanley. "s-so how is your fir-first day going so far, lauren?"

"it's been good, except for P.E." i said, pointing to my bandaged leg.

"what happened?" Stanley asked with concern.

"soccer happened," i said, "it's a good thing my knights in shining armor came to my rescue." i said pointing to eddie and richie making them laugh.

the rest of lunch went great. they even invited me to hang out after school, to which i very excitedly and happily accepted.

it was a great day...until i had my first encounter with henry bowers and his goons.

(a.n. i hope this wasn't absolute shit. this was the other part to the chapter i split up. i didn't have much time to proofread and revise, so i'm just hoping it's good the way it is. and just fyi, i might not be able to update tomorrow, but i'm not sure yet, so hopefully you guys enjoyed these two chapters today! :D)