-~-~-

Blood stained his orange parka into a deep maroon, and pain surged through his shoulder. He opened his eyes, and there he was. Surrounding him were burning flames and air that threatened to suffocate him in an instant. At his feet lay a massive, blood-drenched castle.

17 year old Kenny cursed under his breath and sighed frustratingly. Why couldn't he just stay dead like every other person? Why did he have to be born immortal? Everyone back home was probably mourning him right now. Once he gets back, everyone will just imagine it being a dream. This wasn't anything new to him. Every single month or so, he would experience death. At this rate, he had probably died every way possible.

His lungs screamed, the thick, smoky air burning holes into them. He dragged his hood tighter onto his head, pulling his blonde curls closer to his head.

Finally making it to the dramatic-ass throne room, right in front of him sat Satan, the most evil being to be known to humankind. The red demon leaned to the side and supported his head onto the palm of his hand, appearing bored and tired. Spotting the teenage boy, he gritted his teeth and cringed. The two stared hatefully into each other's souls. Kenny felt as if he had forced knives into his eyes. Now that he was basically having a staring competition with Satan himself, he noticed all the features he hadn't noticed before. His ash-covered beard that hung down to his stomach was untamed and needed a good brushing. Kenny also noticed that he was wearing a cape. Since when did he wear that shitty thing? The only thing he noticed that was actually intimidating was the fangs that hung down by a centimetre from his lips. His fangs reminded Kenny of murder.

"Kenneth McCormick." He sighed. "How'd you die this time?"
Painfully digging into his shoulder, he fished out a bloody bullet. The demon frowned unamused, as if his death wasn't interesting enough.

He turned to his right and brought his fingers to his lips. He whistled an ear-shattering blare, forcing Kenny to cover his ears. When nothing happened, Satan huffed in a frustrating tone.

"Damien!" He roared in a threatening voice. Satan's son, Damian, always obeyed his father's commands, despite being the Prince of Hell.
A tall teenager with untamed, raven hair shuffled sleepily into the room. He was around the same height as Kenny.

"Go walk around Hell with him until he gets back to the overworld." Satan commanded as he waved his fingers around lazily around the kid in the parka. Damien noticed that it were Kenny in the throne room and rolled his eyes while sighing. They didn't have the greatest history. Damian glared back at his father in disgust, and Kenny could swear he witnessed flames dancing threateningly in his eyes. Reluctantly, he agreed to talk with him just for the time being.

They placed themselves down on what Kenny guesses were the ashes of dead people. They'd both been in worse situations, so they didn't think much of it. An awkward silence merged into the burning air, both the boys suddenly not having the ability to talk. Kenny wasn't exactly an extroverted person, but the sound of only screeching souls immediately made him uncomfortable.

"So..." he started, still trying to think of what to bring up. "Your dad's kinda cool, isn't he?"
The demon child blew a raspberry in small laughter, which then turned into him bawling his eyes out as if Kenny had just told the funniest joke. Calming himself down, he answered the question.

"You've maybe been here—what—maybe 100 times, but you're lucky you don't have to live with him!"
Embarrassed, Kenny laughed along awkwardly, not sure if he were laughing at his statement.

"But doesn't he look cool—" Kenny questioned, trying to redeem his confidence before being cut off by Damien's laughter yet again. He laughed even harder at this, completely disagreeing.

"My father looks nothing like what the overworld thinks of him!" He wheezed out.
Well, Kenny may have just had to agree with this a little bit. Satan kind of looked like if a human were red and had horns. His cape did add to the negative effect, making him look like a middle aged man in a robe. Kenny chuckled with Damian genuinely like a little school boy.

The two talked and joked for hours, each saying something stupid that would make each other burst into hysterical laughter. Soon enough, Kenny felt himself start to disappear.

"Looks like you're going back." Damien frowned. As a goodbye, the demon waved to the other child. Kenny politely returned the gesture.

Kenny shut his eyes patiently. In a moment, he fluttered his eyelids open and revealed to be in his room again. No more pain, no more suffocating smoke, he was home. He sat up in his bed and stretched.

Suddenly, his bedroom door flew open. Karen ran to him at once and embraced herself into his arms. "Kenny!" She exclaimed through sobs. "I had a dream where you died!! A-And no one was there for me... A-And I was so scared-"

Before she could continue her sad rambling, he squeezed his sister's hand and smiled, letting her know that everything was going to be okay.
It's good to be back. He thought to himself.