Chapter 4

"So how's your investigation going?" asked Paul as he scanned Campbell's bookshelves.

"It's going quite well," said Campbell as he slapped John's hand away, which had been surreptitiously creeping toward the papers on Campbell's desk.

"So what've you been doing, then?" asked Ringo curiously as he sat down in Campbell's leather armchair.

"We've got people calling everyone who had a ticket to your concert. Of course, if the criminal didn't have a ticket . . . ."

"How could he have gotten in if he didn't have a ticket?" asked Paul.

"You can't possibly ask me to fathom a criminal's mind," pointed out Campbell.

"Oh, I could definitely ask you to fathom a criminal's mind," said John snarkily, but Campbell held his composure and ignored John.

"Well, you don't have to call everyone on the list," said George. "After all, I told you that he was short."

"Ah, but everyone there was short. They were mostly fourteen- and thirteen-year-old girls. But did you notice that the assassin was male? I notice you use the masculine pronoun," said Campbell.

"No, I didn't, I wasn't checking to see what pronoun I should use," said George, annoyed.

"Considering what happened, I'm surprised you didn't notice anything other that his height," said Campbell.

"Considering what happened, I was too bloody busy getting stabbed to notice anything!" snapped George.

"Yet it couldn't have been too bad; you managed to play a set afterword," pointed out Campbell.

"And he was in the hospital for a week," said Ringo indignantly. "If it isn't a big deal, why are you putting so much effort into investigating it?"