Chapter 5| The Serpents

💎Jewel💎

I don't know how long I waited for him, but finally, the door opens and he comes in. I could already tell he's not happy. The first thing he does is kick a chair. In some ways he reminds me of my ex, but I know that Sweet Pea would never hurt me. Right?

"Sweet Pea?" He spins around, startled but relaxes when he realizes it's me. His left eye is slightly swollen and already beginning to bruise. "I thought I told you to go home?"

"You did, but I chose not to listen." I stand up and approach him slowly. When he doesn't protest I lift my hand up and gently place it on his cheek. He flinches because of his eye but doesn't pull away. "You got a good shiner there. Does it hurt much?"

"Hurts like a son of a bitch, but I'll be fine. Nothing a little alcohol can't fix." He pulls away and heads over to the fridge. "Want one?"

"Sure." He grabs two beers by the neck and skillfully twists the caps off, tossing them onto the table. He holds one out to me when he returns and I grab it. Sweet Pea takes a drink before gently pressing it against his eye, groaning softly. I take a long drink from mine.

"Hey, you okay?" I pull the bottle away from my lips and look at him. "Why?"

"You're shivering." I look down at myself and realize he's right. My body's trembling from the wetness of my hoodie. I quickly unzip it and drape it on the chair. I wrap one arm around myself, keeping my beer in the other. Sweet Pea sighs and shrugs off his soaked jacket, tossing it to the floor, before gesturing me over. 

"C'mere." I walk over and sit down beside him on the couch. He wraps his arm around my shoulders, pulling me against his side which is incredibly warm. "Sorry about my wet hair," I say resting my head on his chest.

"I'm already wet so it don't matter," he says softly rubbing my arm, trying to warm me up. "I'm sorry about snapping at you earlier. I was afraid you'd follow me to the rumble."

"It's alright. You were trying to protect me."

"Exactly," he says almost like he's surprised at my understanding. I pull my head off his chest and look up into his face. "But Sweet Pea, I'd prefer to see that side of you as little as possible." I trail off ashamed and look down at the beer bottle in my hand. "I scared you didn't I? And not just scared for my well being." He doesn't say it but I know he knows.

Sweet Pea's anger reminded me too well of how my ex could get when he was pissed off. Sweet Pea shakes his head, angry with himself. "I'm so sorry, I didn't even think." I lift my hand up and cup his cheek. "No, it's okay, maybe I should just be less sensitive." Sweet Pea shakes his head, covering my hand with his own. "No, I need to be less insensitive."

We gaze at each other for a moment and I can't help, but get lost in his eyes. Then I remember what Toni told me. "I like it when you're gentle with me." His eyes widen and he gives me a questioning look. "What you asked me in the trailer after the Ghoulies attacked me."

His eyes fill with realization and a smile graces his features. I look into his eyes and before I can talk myself out of it I press my lips against his. There's a slight pause before he starts kissing back, gentle at first, but a little harder as it deepens. Eventually we pull away and gasp for air.

"Thought we were going to be friends?" he asks although his eyes told that's the last thing he wants. I shake my head, my chest rising and falling as I catch my breath. "I don't know what I'm feeling. But I know it's stronger than anything else I've ever felt and I want to see where it goes. If you're up for it, Sweets? Looking for a girlfriend?"

He smiles and sets his beer down. I do the same with mine. "I didn't know I was until I met you," Sweet Pea says, pulling me into his lap and I wrap my arms around his neck. He brings his hand up and gently brushes my wounds with his fingertips. I lean into his touch and he sits up, pressing kisses along my jawline.