Chapter 17: Unique

Tuesday, 23rd of July, 2019

"Are you sure about this?" Clarke asked from the passenger seat as she was putting on the seat belt and looked at Raven who was behind the wheel, starting the car.

"Absolutely," Raven smiled at her as she pressed the gas pedal.

"Okay, then..." she nodded. "What did you tell your boss, by the way?"

"Family emergency... I have a lot of vacation days left anyway, so she was cool about it. Plus, it's almost August, and you know how Spain's practically asleep the whole month," she smiled again while driving, focused on the road ahead.

"True that..." Clarke agreed and then bit her lip, feeling nervous about the next subject she was about to open. "Did you... Have you spoken to Octavia?"

Raven clenched her jaw before answering, feeling a sudden sensation of heat in her chest.

"No," she responded as she was losing the debate inside her head about whether she should ask Clarke about Octavia. "Did you see her today?"

"I did, yes..." Clarke answered and saw how her friend swallowed hard. "But, only before the morning meeting, we didn't get a chance to talk or anything..."

"Clarke, I know you're always trying to fix everything, but don't forget you promised me not to talk to her about this..."

"I don't even know what THIS is, Ray..." she said, feeling a little annoyed. "I understand that it's hard for you, but I really wish you could tell me... You know, talking about it might actually help you."

"There's nothing to tell, Clarke..." Raven sighed and glanced at her friend who was clearly disappointed, and then turned her eyes back on the road. "Look... you know I trust you, right?" Clarke nodded and Raven exhaled before speaking. "She was at the gym with Ricky..."

Clarke turned her head and looked at Raven, surprised at the information, but she didn't say anything, waiting for her friend to continue.

"We had a lot of fun, actually, the three of us..." a sad smile found its way on Raven's lips. "And Oct... she was even flirting with me... at least that's what I thought, I don't know... And then I got out of the shower and she was there, in the locker room, already dressed and then I saw that Ontari was also there... Suddenly everything felt so awkward and tense when Ontari starting hitting on me, well on both of us, actually, and then Octavia..." she paused due to the sting she felt the moment her name left her lips. "She left... she said that she had to decline Ontari's offer and that the two of us should finish what we had started on Friday..."

"Wait..." Clarke interrupted. "How did she know about what happened on Friday?"

"Ontari mentioned it when she was inviting me to take a shower together..." Raven explained. "Anyway, she left the locker room and next thing I know I'm running after her like a fool, wearing nothing but a fucking towel... I made it all the way to the reception and there they were... kissing."

"Ray..." Clarke felt her friend's pain with every word she said and she knew that she was too blinded by it to see the real reason behind Octavia's behaviour. "She was jealous!"

Raven laughed out loud sarcastically.

"Come on, Clarke... we're adults and this is not some soap opera," she said. "It didn't look like it was their first kiss either... They're dating, I just didn't want to accept it."

"No, they're not!" Clarke raised her voice and then realized what she had just said when she locked eyes with Raven. "I think she's just using him to make you jealous, Ray... Why would she kiss you otherwise? And flirt with you all the time? She ran out of the locker room because she was jealous of Ontari, why can't you see that?"