Part I: Wind Over Waste

Read this whole thing in a country accent. I dare ya, partner.
There was a tree. His name was Joshua. This is unrelated to the story, except to say that he frequently daydreamed about his brethren out West. Little did he know that the Joshua trees he heard tell of were not trees at all, but mere cacti residing in the desert where we set our tale. In this field of cacti, there was a road down which a light wind blew a fascinating tumbleweed. Now this tumbleweed wasn't just any plain old tumbleweed. This particular tumbleweed was chaotic in nature as it haphazardly bounced down the barren road. His name was Brendon. He hummed a little tune to himself as he blew on and on throughout the wasteland. After what felt like forever, he heard the sound of an engine coming from behind him. He turned around and with a squint began to make out with his little, beady tumbleweed eyes a van coming down the road. And even more curious, he happened to make out that none other than a tumbleweed was driving this here van.
"Gee, biscuits! Wot in tarnation is going on?" Brendon said to himself.
The van pulled up next to him and the door opened. A brooding, greasy-looking tumbleweed sat in the driver's seat. "Name's Ryan," he said with a slow drawl. He carefully inspected the other tumbleweed, then asked, "What's a pretty lil' tumbleweed such as yerself doin' alone out in these here parts? Can't trust the winds here; ya'd easily be blown from the road. Wouldn't want ya ta get caught in the cacti and torn ta bits. Hop in."