Chapter 10 : Alive and Unsure

When Tharn opened his eyes, a heavy headache soon made them close again. Once he was ready, he opened them again andhe recognized the cabin of his ship. Why were they on sea? His last memories were those from right after their victory. They had been ambushed. He remembered how his last memory had been golden hair before losing consciousness.

His body felt overly warm and painful but his hand felt nicely wrapped in something soft. As he dropped his eyes, he saw the golden-haired woman of his dreams holding his hand.

Adelheid.

Was it a dream? Was he already in Valhalla and she was here to welcome him?

As he tried to move his fingers, he realized it was no dream and she truly was right next to him, asleep on the side of his bed. The pain he felt long forgotten, Tharn felt some happiness and comfort take place in his heart. This woman was a healer of not only his wounds but also his mind and heart.

As he tried to reach for her, a burst of pain shot from his arm, and that's only when he realized he was hurt.

His shoulder was covered with a bandage, and he couldn't check on it because of that. His torso was also wrapped in fabric and his skin was covered with bruises from all color range from blue to black, not forgetting purple and green. He had been badly beaten.

He pulled the hand that was enclosed in Adelheid's and reached for her hair to pull it away from her face.

Caressing her cheek, he contemplated her. Her skin was whiter than usually which he didn't know was possible. Her long lashes projected a shadow on her cheekbones because of the candle that was lit next to them, which made her hair shine like gold. Her pink lips were slightly opened and she breathed slowly, a little frown between her brows. She was of a rare beauty that Tharn had never seen before. She enthralled him like no woman had before.

Her lashes fluttered and she realized Tharn was awoken, a hand on her cheek. Their eyes met. Adelheid let out a shaky breath, heavy with emotions. He was finally awake! It had been eight days since she had sewed him up and had changed his bandages and fed him as she could even if he was unconscious.

His eyes were finally opened, after days of asking him to do so while he remained deeply asleep, he was back, finally. He looked exhausted and his eyes were dropping, but at least, he was awake and alive, a light smile on his face.

"Adelheid." He managed to say in a raspier voice than usually, a bit broken but still.

The young woman put her own hand on his, still laid on her cheek. He worried she might take it away and reject him, but instead, she pushed it more against her skin and closed her eyes, enjoying the feeling of his skin against hers. She had longed for it during the last two months.

Tharn's heart leaped in his chest at her gesture, and it broke a bit when a single tear escaped her eyes as she smiled.

She opened her glossy eyes and bent over him to gently touch his dried lips with hers in a delicate kiss. She was careful since she didn't want to hurt him.

Tharn felt like a young lad who kissed a girl for the first time. He suddenly wished he was a young lad again to be able to get his first kiss with her. The kiss was soft and gentle, a bit salty because of the few more tears which escaped Adelheid's eyes. Shortly after, she separated their lips but rested her forehead against him.

"I thought I would never see your eyes again." She whispered as she smiled softly, making his heart flutter with joy.

With his good arm, Tharn brought his hand in the nape of her neck and brought her head in the crook of his shoulder, holding her tightly.