Epilogue

Sarah Mae Miller pulled a few weeds from her flower garden and stood up, stretching the ache from her back. The swell of her abdomen announced her to be in mid-pregnancy. Four dark Aicur pups played with a human toddler on the lawn, trying to catch the crows that seemed intent on raiding the garden. Nearby, Declan used a power drill to hang shutter hinges from the window frames of their stone cottage.

"You'd never know that house used to hide a bomb shelter," Red commented through her radio. She was laying in the shade of a small tree, minding Sarah's toddler as well as Red's own pups.

Sarah looked at her home; at the lush, green lawn and fertile garden plots, at the new roof and windows in the stonework of the cottage. A wooden garage housed her motorcycle and a sedan. Red's car was parked in front of the open garage door, driver's helmet perched on the dash.

"We turned the shelter into more bedrooms," Sarah commented. "Not much sunlight, but it stays temperate down there. What's Green up to today?"

Red laughed. "He and Blue took President Polk and Prime Minister Gerard hunting. President Polk has Green addicted to wild hog in the southeastern states."

"Daddy went pig hunting?" one of the pups' voices came over the radio. "I hope he gets one!"

Sarah laughed. "I see he's not the only one addicted to wild pig. Yellow and Indigo are still on their honeymoon, enjoying the rats of Calcutta, from what I hear. Have you heard from Sunset yet? How's she doing in Law school?"

"Keeping her grades up; she's spawning a lot of shark jokes every time she smiles though." Red and Sarah laughed together. "How's your dad?" Red asked.

"Ornery as ever; swears he'll never retire."

Declan put down his power drill and ambled over. "I wouldn't retire either, were I in his shoes. Still, having President Polk sign a pardon for him makes it a lot easier for him to visit on the holidays. Are you ready for some tea, Love?"

Sarah glanced at his hands, assessing him by sheer force of habit. He caught her glance and lowered his hands as if to hide their slight tremble. "I am if you are," Sarah answered immediately, not commenting on his physical state. "Come on, Kids, we'll put on a video." One toddler and four Aicur pups raced for the door all at once.

"I want to see Aunt Indigo's new movie," the little girl begged. "Don't you all?"

"We've already seen it," one of the pups answered from her mother's radio, "but I'll watch it again if you want to."

Sarah smiled and went to program the television for the little ones.