Unexpected

"Christian." A voice said, and then Christian Walker woke up with a yell of pain as his head hit the floor. "Ow Ren. What the hell was that for?" He asked, rubbing his eyes with his hand as he rolled over to be able to stand up. "Sorry. But it's time for us to go."

Ren Walker, his twin sister said and already she was going for her hunting jacket. Christian yawned, and now he stretched, and he grumbled, before he stood up with her. "Going? Going where?..." He yawned, and Ren looked at him, and sighed, before taking a slow and deliberate breath, just before she continued. "We're going hunting. It's our job remember?"

She said, and Christian groaned. "Why is it us again?" He asked, and Ren sighed at her brother's annoying tactics to try and procrastinate going. "Would you rather have Thomas do it?" She asks rhetorically, nodding at their sleeping 10 year old brother, and Christian looked at her. "He'll be a great hunter when he's older." Christian said, and then went to get his own jacket, and his short sword as well. 

"My brother, I love you. But you're completely hopeless." Ren said, grabbing her crossbow and pulling her quiver strap tight, so that it wasn't hanging just loosely off, but not so tightly that it was choking her. "Now come on, let's get out there." Christian said, and Ren snorted. "Oh, now you're ready to go." She mumbled sarcastically under her breath, as she walked out of the side door that the hunters always used, to avoid waking up the rest of their family.

The 18 year old twins looked around, scanning the woods for any immediate threats as they had been trained well by their father to do, as they carefully watched the woods together as Ren shut the door behind the both of them.

Christian took a deep breath, and blew it out slowly. "Let's check the snares first, then if there's nothing there, we go to the spot. Agreed?" He asks, and Ren looked around quickly, as she tends to do on a hunt, and she put an arrow into her crossbow, and then nodded quick at her twin.

The two young hunters crept together through the woods, Christian on the left, and Ren facing the right as they walked carefully. The snares had nothing good in them tonight, although there was a few tufts of fur from some poor little animal that had without a doubt gotten scratched by one as they ran from something much, much bigger.

Ren touched the fur, and she looked at Christian. "Rabbit fur." She murmured, rubbing the fur between her fingers, before she let it fall, and brought up her crossbow when she heard a twig snap. "Christian." She spoke quickly and very urgently, as her twin brother stood and watched the opposite of the woods. "Up the trees. Now." He said.

It was a quiet night in the woods for the two siblings who had come out for a late night walk in the woods after trying and finally succeeding to get out of the loud city. "Hey Noah, do you think anyone would ever want to live forever out here?"

Aretha, the 16 year old girl said, and her older brother Noah, who was 19 years old, and widely considered by most of his friends to be the near smartest kid in existence, just snorted at her in clear disgust and incredulity.

"No one would want to live out here Aretha. No one would by choice. Ever. It's disgusting out here, and I don't know why anyone would want to ever live out here by choice." Noah said, and suddenly Aretha screamed at the top of her voice, and a huge shadowy shape was leaping dead on towards Noah, who just then screamed at the top of his voice.

A arrow hissed through the air, missing Noah's neck by barely a hair, and it buried itself into the forehead of the beast-like monster, and straight into it's brain, and it fell hard onto the ground, with only a brief whimper of pain, before it went silent.

"What?... Who?!" Noah stammered, completely shocked, and clearly unable to form any complete or even somewhat sensible or cohorent sentences. "Next time you walk into the woods, you might want to at least carry a weapon."