Chapter 21: The Woodland Marines

As we all rushed to the trenches to get ready for the pending attack, the shelling got closer and closer, blowing trees and pieces of ground away with each one of the mortars that landed. 

The Marine unit that had showed up to assist us had already set up the enemy machine guns on what was previously the enemy's rear flank. RPD and RPK machine guns sat on the berms on the side of the trenches, ready to be used before setting up our own machine guns. Ammo preservation was going to be key in this fight.

As the shelling stopped, we could see smoke grenades going off about two hundred meters in front of the trenches. With much more firepower on our side with the Marine units, we stood a much better chance of making a firm stand.

"Check over your weapons and equipment! Use the procured enemy weapons and ammo first! AK's are simple and each of you should already know how to operate one. I'll have someone running magazines and fresh rifles up if your AK goes down. Save your service rifles for when we're out. I also need three Designated Marksmen on me right now!" I said, yelling as everyone was getting set up to fire on the first few enemies.

Two young men and a woman from the Marine unit met me at my command position beside all of the weapons we had stockpiled. There were four SVD rifles there in the stockpile with a few crates of magazines, just enough to split up between two teams.

"I'll need one of you with me, and the other two of you set up near machine gun positions on the right flank. I'll need you to be precise and make your shots count. Keep those sharpshooters off of our machine gunners. They're the key to making a stand here. Now, I need your names to issue commands via radio. Any of you squad leaders?" I asked, passing out the SVD's to the Marines. 

"We all are, sir. I'm Jenkins, this is Atkins, and this little wirey fuck is Glasco." Said the female Marine, who I now knew was Jenkins. 

"Roger, I also want you guys to call targets for the machine gunners if you can, but don't over extend yourselves. Atkins, you're with me." I said, racking the bolt of the Korean rifle. I slung my helmet onto my head as we moved from the Command Post to our positions, running over what we needed to do. 

"Right here should be good." I said to Atkins as we reached about 30 meters past our second to last gun emplacement. "I'll need you to spot for me and I'll try to do the same in between reloads. Keep your shots to a minumum but kill as many as you can. Hooah?" I said, positioning myself on a sandbag. "It's Oorah, Cap." Atkins replied with a shit eating grin. 

Just as we got ready, we started to see the NK's rushing through another smoke barrage, screaming at the top of their lungs. I could see bayonets on the end of their rifles, and it was apparent then that we would be in for a hell of a fight. 

"Open fire!" I yelled into my radio and the battle commenced. Machine guns rattled off and I could hear the distinct crack of AK-M rifles popping off. I took my time, aiming my rifle and getting used to the strange Russian optic and getting a feel for the windage. I aimed at officers, other sharpshooters trying to take out my machine gunners, and the stray standard soldier if I couldn't find any high value targets. 

"We've got a big group coming in on the left flank, we need assistance or we're going to be over run!" I heard the large Korean-American Marine from earlier in the day scream over the radio. 

"I'm headed that way." I replied. 

"Atkins, you take over from here. Keep our boys and girls safe." I said, tapping her on the shoulder as I made my way to the other side of trench system. 

Bullets flew over the top of the trench and the mortar shells got closer as they began to walk them in. I knew if we didn't get some help, we might not make it out of this trench.