Chapter 31

I'm not sure why I'm having a hard time focusing, but with Coodi strapping into one of my shuttle's drop seats and Ledi and I already fastened into our positions, nervousness creeps over. I shiver despite the warmth radiating from the instruments in my cockpit.

"Buckled in?" I flip the switch at my side.

"Yes, Commander," Coodi says in a terse voice.

"Okay, spill it. What's wrong?"

"Am I able to speak freely, Commander?"

I twist in my seat to face her. Her sharp brows are drawn together as if concentrating on something difficult. Her hands rest in her lap, the white gloves of her formal regalia stand out in contrast to the dull stone-gray fabric of her dress pants. Her posture is so taut, I could tap her shoulder and she would shatter. "Of course. Coodi, we've seen some shit together—we don't have to hold these old formalities anymore."

She shifts in her seat. "Moyra should be here."

I snort. "No way." Facing the front again, I wave away Coodi and her impossibly rigid stance.

Ledi murmurs through our checklist, reciting each switch and safety check before we disengage from ARC10.

"Why not?"

"Because Moyra's stubborn. If I were to take her to Moon, she'd try blasting his head off before we even start negotiations."

Any noise of disagreement or frustration Coodi could have made is swallowed by the shuttle's engines thundering to life. But who am I kidding? It's Coodi. She never would have outwardly disagreed with me even if I told her I was sticking my hand into a barrel of acid.

While my shuttle doesn't make the same monstrous ruckus as ARC10, it's still a painful clamor. I flinch as it grinds to life. We disengage from ARC10.

The return trip to my previous hangar on the HMS Valediction is too short. Part of me wants to show off—to let Coodi take in the majesty of a window-full of stars. I linger for a minute. Ledi peers at me from the corner of his eyes while keeping his focus up and toward the window. He smirks.

We cruise straight for the HMS Valediction. As if expecting us, the enormous hangar door opens to welcome me back.

Dropping to the floor and shutting the engines off, I sit up a little taller. My first round-trip drive. "Not bad," I say, smiling at Ledi.

He gives me a thumbs-up. "For a first flight? No. Not at all."

Coodi watches us, her attentive gaze focusing on me and my co-pilot as she slowly releases herself from the seat's restraints.

"Okay, what's wrong now, Coodi?"

"Permission to speak freely, Commander?"

"Lady Almighty, didn't we already go over—"

"This is all very confusing."

My smile fades. "Yeah, well, welcome to the HMS Valediction."

We exit the ship. Nuna is just beyond the port, leaning against the hangar wall as if she'd spent hours there before our arrival. She perks up, uncrosses her arms and pushes off. "You've returned."

Seeing her again with the soft glow of HMS Valediction's overhead lights bathing her halo of curly hair in warm light sends shockwaves through my arms and legs.

"It's good to see you again, Nuna." I'm surprised by how much I truly mean that. "I mean, I was only gone like half a clyk—"

"Approximately five hours," Ledi whispers in my direction.