Moving On

Marinette descended down the stairs, animatedly chatting with Adrien; plastering fake and forced smiles. Listening to him talk about her —Kagami. It hurt, her heart beating heavily against her chest—in miserable agony. They parted ways with a wave. She walked only to stop and glance over, keenly aware of how close Adrien and Kagami were, truly they were made for each other and the realization hurt. 

 Bluebell hues glanced down, before she lifted her chin up. A sad smile tugging at her pretty pink lips, she mused somberly. 

 'This is a goodbye, Adrien. I hope that you and Kagami are happy.'

 Turning around, she heads for Luka—her lungs constricting against her ribcage, unable to breathe. 

 "Marinette." It is Luka's voice that snaps the girl out of her depressive daze. 

 "Sorry, what did you say? I didn't hear you, I was lost in thought." She replied swiftly, a bashful smile dancing on her lips. 

 "I was just asking if you're doing ok, since you know, the whole Adrien and—"

 " Yes, " She stressed, "I'm fine, thank you. Speaking of which, about that tune. Can I hear it?"

 "You want to?" Luka asked, fingers gingerly hovering over the strings of his beloved guitar. 

 "Mm." 

 A soft melody was heard, and Marinette couldn't help but visibly relax, the music washing over her like a blanket of tranquility—immense peace was all that is felt. Marinette's vaguely aware that she had closed her a while ago. Humming along to the tune, she opened eyes and saw beautiful blue that's the sky. A tiny hopeful smile tugged at the corner of her lips. 

 'Everything will be fine. /You'll/ be fine.'

 . 

Two months later  

 Ladybug and Chat Noir were fighting against Hawkmoth's latest akuma, Soul Feaster. Apparently it's a person who fed on the hopeful souls of the successful. Which was really troublesome as they had to be careful with each step for if they messed up, it'd be bad news. So far they managed to assess the situation and with the help of her lucky charm, they were victorious and everything went back to normal; Well, almost . As of late, Ladybug has noticed a shift in her and Chat's behavior. For starters, ever since the events of Miracle Queen, her partner hasn't called her m'lady or bugaboo—or any other of his nicknames for her, like at all. Normally she wouldn't pay much attention to the slight change, but what caused Ladybug's concern was that she found herself disappointed. Like, what? It doesn't make any sense! After years of constantly stubbornly chiding him, rejecting his advances—she should be happy that Chat finally listened, finally got the memo and now, they would be a much more effective team—their platonic relationship would flourish! But noooo, she out of all people, feels upset and betrayed. It's not like they were an item or anything. Chat was just a blatant flirt who made his love for her obvious, time and time again.