Coming Back Home

We finally made it to Destiny Islands after months of my step dad going back and forth moving everything. The flight and drive felt like forever, but it was only twenty minutes. Although our origins are from the neighboring island, Radiant Gradens, it still held a special place in my mother's heart. My name is Kairi SinClaire, I am sixteen, and technically an only child. I once had an older brother, but I was too young to remember what he was like or what happened to him. Mother doesn't talk about him as much as I want her to, but I've accepted it along time ago that I will never know.

"Kairi, were here,"  says Dean, my step dad. I looked over towards the front of our car and was caught off guard that our new house looked similar to our old one back home, but I guess I would have it no other way. Dean has always considered mother and I's feelings about the term "throwing money." My parents were humble and very well respected in the community. My mother is the famous designer "ENVY," and well Dean just recently became Chief of Destiny's fire department, hence why we moved here. "Kairi?" my mother asked. "Yes?" "Are you okay?" "Yes mom," I smiled at her to reassure her that I was okay. I got out of the car and followed Dean into the house. The place was already furnished and ready for us. My mom wanted me to finish freshman year without the stress of moving that is why it took months. My parents showed me around the place to make sure I knew where everything was. They told me which one was my room upstairs because they had to get the luggage. When I opened my bedroom door, I was surprised by Pluto. "Pluto!" I laughed out loud. He was my five month old Labrador. Dean had taken him when they first had bought the house to keep him company while helping the movers arrange everything.

"Pluto you silly puppy, I miss you too!" I said while pushing him off me. "I see Pluto has given his warm welcome" my mother laughed while coming into my room. Pluto went back to his bed in the corner of my room. She had my luggage and put it on my bed. "Mom, I can put it away myself" I said before she could finish opening my luggage. "Kairi, I know you're tired, go get some rest" "I'm fine mom, really, you're tired too," I said grabbing her hands and giving her another smile. "Kairi" she questioned me while pulling me down to sit on my bed. "I know I have not been fair to you about your feelings. The questions you have bottled up for years about your brother, your father. I know how much you really need closer, so I decided that I will tell you, but not here. I'm going to take you to Radiant Gardens tomorrow and only then will I tell you about them," My mother ranted trying to hold her tears. "As much as I want closure mom, seeing you crying about it is enough for me not to push" "Oh Kairi, you have done nothing, but show understanding, you deserve to know...Kei would want you to know," There it was my older brother's name again. My mom had only said his name one other time and that was when Dean had pushed her on the subject. We talked a bit more then went to bed. I didn't realize how tired I was when I finally laid down on my pillow and crashed out.