Song 2

I wasn't much of a singer, no matter how good my dad said I was. Art was a good singer, an amazing singer actually, I'll admit that.

His singing made mass bearable.

Art stood in the middle of me and 11 other teenaged boys on risers.

Some were mumbling the hymns, I mouthed them.

I didn't want to get in more trouble for not participating.

The choir robes were itchy, the collar was choking me and, it was hot.

Also there was a baby crying somewhere in the church.

I hated Sundays.

Seeing my dad walk around always felt strange to me, he looked so powerful, so sure.

I liked to look around at the people in the pews, how they looked at my dad, how they believed him.

My dad was happy.

Sometimes I think of what would happen if one day during mass my mom just waltzed in, incredibly late, as always.

My dad sees her and- well that's all I've thought about. I don't know what'd he'd do then.

Hell, I don't even know what I'd do.

I don't know if I hate her.

Sunday drags on, I wasn't ready for Monday.

I'd be stuck in detention. Frosted tips and I got served with two weeks worth.

My dad wasn't happy about that.

"Dad, I think James should have a stricter punishment. How about you take his skateboard away, teach him a lesson?"
I rolled my eyes, why was Art always in the room when I was getting dealt with.

"How about you head to bed, Art. Big day tomorrow."

Art gave dad a nod and saluted him goodnight. Christ, could he be any worse.

Dad took a chair and sat infront of me.
He was still dressed in his work clothes, clerical collar and all.

I think he did it to make me feel bad.

Maybe scare me a little.

"James," I knew he was annoyed.

"son, I thought you were done with the fighting,"

I crossed my arms over my chest. I probably looked like I was pouting, like I was five years old all over again and broke my moms favorite vase.

"I am," I huffed "just, this kid started stuff."

"And this 'kid', what's his name, maybe we should have a sit down with his parents, clear some things up, maybe even get a couple new faces in our pews,"

I groaned.

"No, no, it's fine. We settled it. We're actually friends now." I almost threw up in my mouth at the thought of frosted tips and me being friends.