Chapter 8: It's A Long Way To Canterbury

Dover, the same evening.

Bent upon the rail, Alienor fed her dinner to the fish, for the third time in four hours of crossing. That was very unfair, in her opinion. None of the other passengers seemed to feel the effects of the rolling, not even the horses in their stalls below deck.

Richard rubbed a sympathetic hand on her back, while Isobel handed her a towel and a cup of water. He had tried to distract her by telling her the history of the town of Dover, one of the famous Cinque Ports of England, and describing the white cliffs, topped by a very large castle, hidden to her by the darkness. She could only distinguish the distant lights guiding the boat, which they seemed to approach excruciatingly slow.

After what seemed an eternity, they entered the Eastbrook stream, guided by two sailors, using long perches to check for depth in the silted mouth of the Dour river. Soon they moored into Warden Down's harbor, their elegant vessel standing out amongst the cogs belonging to English merchants and the hulks of the powerful Hanseatic League.

Alienor tried to ignore the stench of algae and rotting fish, her stomach menacing to upturn again. She focused on the quay where dockers and porters stood at the ready, waiting patiently to unload the ship, and noticed a group of armed men on the side.

Her husband's guards, most likely; they had left the Duke's soldiers in Calais, from where they would return to their duty, after resting a few days. Richard had graciously granted them hospitality in his house until then.

The men displayed the typical stance of seasoned warriors; they seemed at perfect ease with their weapons and the heavy burden of their chainmail tunics, helmets and shields. The more she looked at them, the better she felt. England was famous for its many robbers, and for anyone with a modicum of wealth, travelling without a strong escort was utter madness.

In the lawless wake of the civil war, insecurity had reached such incredible heights that many landlords colluded with thugs and outlaws, their habit of ransoming travelers on the main roads gaining them the name of highwaymen.

While her husband's estate was merely a few hours ride away, on the other side of Canterbury, the road crossed the rolling hills of the North Downs, and footpads could easily ambush them in the woods.

Alienor disembarked eagerly, soon joined by her husband and their servants. Their horses were dragged out on shaky legs. Her jennet and Isabel's rouncey fought against the hold of the stable boys, terrified by their first sailing experience. Her mare kicked out, shortly missing her attendant's head. Alienor whistled and cooed at her, managing to calm her down, but the horses were still too stressed to be mounted. Fortunately the inn wasn't far, they would be able to walk there. She wouldn't complain; her buttocks felt no urge to be back in the saddle.

Leading their mounts, their escort tight around them, the group passed through the suburbs and entered the city walls at Eastbrook gate. A sleepy sentinel straightened up at the sight of the safe pass giving them right of access to the town during curfew, signed by Sir John Scott, Lord Warden of the Cinque Ports. He bowed reverently before collected the fees.

They followed the river, stepping carefully in the rising fog. Alienor shivered as the cold and dampness permeated her clothes, and was glad when they reached Market Square where their hostel was located,. Despite the late hour, there was still light coming from the glazed windows; the innkeeper must have been expecting them. In the nearby shadows, Alienor could discern the outline of two churches. Their rest would be short lived, as they were bound to wake up when the bells would ring the Angelus.

She followed Richard into the main room, instantly comforted by the cleanliness of it. The floor was covered in fresh rushes and dry flowers, and the long guest table was pristine. More herbs hung from the ceiling in front of the large stone chimney. The air smelled of beeswax and summer gardens.