The Bar

Marks favorite place in the whole world was his fathers bar. His dads had started it when they had first gotten together, and after a long and tedious custody battle with Marks mom, the bar and the apartment above it became his childhood home. He had no hesitation to jump at the chance to work as a bartender as soon as he was twenty one.

Even though Mark had a wife, he fully intended to keep this bar until he could pass it onto his son. Keep his fathers legacy going, so more could meet and love others like themselves just like his dads did.

The bar held many memories for many people, its warm and welcoming atmosphere was the perfect environment for new love. Mark had seen many love stories take place here, whether it was short or long, or until the end.

One couple that had always intrigued Mark was the odd Whizzer and Marvin. Marvin, as Mark had been informed in a drunken, emotional rant, had recently divorced his wife and gotten with Whizzer, just like Marks father had. Mark always liked this about Marvin, and loved hearing Marvin talk lovingly about his son. At first, the two would come together every once in a while, but he would often see Whizzer there by himself, picking up guys. Mark never mentioned this to Marvin, as the young lovers relationship seemed rocky and Mark didn't want to tip the boat.

Though one day, while Whizzer was there flirting with men, the sassy man informed Mark that the two had split and that Marvin was a bad man. It seemed to be over, and after that Mark, though he thought of them often, didn't see either of them again.

That is, until two years later.

The unlikely lovers, who were smiling and laughing like crazy, stumbled into the bar. Mark smiled as the two shared a sweet kiss, back into the swing of new gay love in the city.

After that, the couple came in together a few nights a week. They really seemed to love each other, with both of them getting all sappy when they drank. Everything seemed well for them, and Mark couldn't be more happy for them.

Then, for a few weeks, they never came. Mark was worried, the air hadn't been the same for the past few months. Men disappeared, lovers were separated by a mysterious illness, and men were being more careful with who they went home with. Mark assumed the best though, maybe they were just on vacation.

Though, Marks assumptions weren't reality. One day, Marvin entered alone. He didn't smile and there were bags under his eye. Marvin told Mark that Whizzer had gotten very sick and he wasn't doing well. Mark had never seen a more distraught man as Marvin sat lonely at the bar just staring into his drink.

After that visit, the next thing Mark heard from them was an invitation to Whizzer Browns funeral.

The funeral was small, and Mark couldn't stand to stay past the service. All he could do was watch as Marvin broke down, grieving more than any man could know was possible.

Marvin came to the bar every few weeks, drinking whatever was strongest until he had to ask Mark to call a taxi home.

It went on like that for a few months until it abruptly stopped. It was a nagging silence, where Mark wasn't sure what to think. Sure, Marvin could just be working to get over his lovers death by not going to their favorite places, but a part of Mark couldn't help but fear that the man was taken by whatever Whizzer was.

A lesbian couple came into the bar quite a few months later. Mark recognized them from the funeral. They didn't order anything, but told Mark that Marvin has passed away to suicide, and then left right after.

Mark couldn't help be feel sad, and he felt sadder than he had about any other patron. Sure, he had seen many loves come and go, started and stopped like a car whose brakes could never break, but none were ever like the odd Whizzer and Marvin. Mark thought about them for a long time, and he didn't forget about them until his dying day.

The bar, unfortunately, didn't do so well under Marks sons ownership and closed down a few years after Mark passed, but the memories and love it homed where there forever.