Boyfriends

Bright light beamed through the window. It was the start to another tiring day. Callum stretched out of his bed and got dressed in his suit. He looked in the mirror to straighten his tie whilst thought about how his life had changed so much in the last few weeks. He had finally come out after 28 scary years of hiding away. Whitney had moved out and Stuart had moved in with Rainie. And he had a boyfriend... a boyfriend? Was Ben his boyfriend? They hadn't really talked about it. Ben and Callum spent every spare minute with each other but he didn't know where he stood with him. A whirlwind of confusion hit Callum as he strode down the stairs to the parlour.

Silence. Callum sat there in the empty office doing paper work. His little brain was wiring away with thoughts. Every bit of paper he picked up had the business's name proudly printed on. "Coker and Mitchell's" Reading it make Callum feel weird. It gave him butterflies reading Ben's name but he also thought about Paul. It must make Ben feel upset to see their names on the building as if he was still with Paul. Maybe he felt like he was cheating on him by being with Callum. Maybe he thought Callum was just a bit of fun and nothing serious.

Callum thought.

He needed to talk to him. He needed to know where they stood. The door creaked and suddenly made Callum burst out of his thought bubble. Jay walked in from his lunch break and greeted Callum in his usual cheery way... Despite the fact they were undertakers.

"Alright mate?"

"Yeah, I'm good. Just doing the filing."

Jay could sense something wasn't right. Even though he and Callum hadn't known each other for long, they were great mates.

"You got something on your mind?" Jay asked.

Callum sighed. He could talk to Jay about anything, he doesn't judge. Jay is especially helpful when it comes to Ben; after all they are brothers.

"It's just Ben... I don't know if he thinks we're serious or not. He might not want to be after Paul."

Jay shook his head, "Mate, Ben really likes ya. Ok, maybe he is a bit weary after what happened to Paul but you shouldn't let that stop ya! He needs to move on." Jay paused. "I'll let you off early. Go talk to him, it will do ya both some good."

Smiling, Callum thanked Jay and made his way out, gently patting him on the back.

Knock, knock, knock. Callum stood outside the Beale house hold. The tall man in his black suit waited impatiently. Finally the door opened and Ben was there with a pink wipe, wiping smudged makeup off his face. Lexi's high pitched giggle filled the house. Ben was surprised to see Callum and invited him in; warning him that he might come out with a face full of make up!

"Callum!!!" squealed Lexi as she jumped over to him in her blue princess dress. Sweeping her off her feet, Callum gave her a big hug. "Hello darling!" Callum softly spoke. He adored Lexi as if she was his own. Lexi eagerly passed Callum a plastic shield and told him that he has to save her from the evil monster... Her dad!

An hour had flown by. Ben, Callum and Lexi were slumped on the sofa watching TV. Snuggled into the warmth of Callum's suit, Lexi had dozed off. Ben and Callum looked at eachother and grinned. Once their eyes had met, it was hard to break away.

"Ben," Callum gently spoke, "We need to talk."

Ben grabbed Callum's hand. They locked together perfectly as if they were a puzzle. "What is it?" Ben replied. Callum sighed and his hands became sweaty. "Come one spit it out!" Ben said jokingly but really his heart was pounding at what Callum was worried about.

Taking a deep breath, Callum blurted out: "Are we boyfriends?" Ben gulped and looked into Callum's pure blue eyes. He really liked Callum, like really liked him. And they have been spending a lot of time together.

"Is that what you were worried about? Course we are silly!" Ben squeezed his hand but at the back of his mind he couldn't help feeling like he was cheating on Paul. An ocean of guilt flooded his mind. But he cared deeply for Callum and didn't want to upset him. He lent in for a kiss and a warm, caring feeling tingled down his body. Being around eachother made them happy.

The couple smiled. It was the start of a new chapter for both of them and hopefully a good one.