Pride

Week 14 in lockdown. That's 14 weeks of Ben, Callum, Stuart and Rainie being stuck under one roof. Lets just say that Ben hasn't been the easiest person to live with. Neither has Stuart. Or Rainie. Callum, on the other hand, has been like the peace maker of this dysfunctional family. He has been an angel.

Click! The kettle had finished boiling and Ben made two cups of tea, carefully placing them on a tray. "Morning!" Stuart's audacious voice echoed in the flat. His gorilla-like arm reached across Ben and grabbed one of the hot mugs. Ben jumped at his presence and sighed at seeing his morning dose of caffeine being stolen. Before he could creep back in his cave, Ben spoke to him- This was a rare occasion. "Err, Stuart" Ben lowered his voice so he wouldn't wake Callum, "Could you get Callum out the house for a bit this morning? Err, I just need to, err, do something." He gulped.

"What for? You ain't gonna do anything dodgy are ya?" was what Stuart was trying to say, but in his own made-up sign language. Ben wasn't keen on the whole learning sign language thing but this was just on another level. After a few minutes, Ben sighed and rolled his eyes. "Listen," He looks up feeling embarrassed by the vulnerability he was about to show. "I want to make a mini pride for Callum, you know, put up a few banners and that. I don't want him missing out on his first proper pride." Stuart looked at Ben, surprised by his nice side and slowly nodded. "Yeah... I'll take him to the park and have a game of footie." Ben subtly smiled (despite the fact that Stuart was trying to kick an imaginary ball) and took the mug of tea to Callum's bedside.

Ben and Callum were silently having breakfast. It was a comfortable silence. They felt safe in each other's presence. Stuart and Rainie suddenly emerged from their room. "Alright bruv! I was thinking that we could have a kick about this morning at the park?" Stuart always sounded way too excited. Callum looked at Stuart. Despite the past, he did enjoy spending time with his brother- oddly! "Yeah, sure." He reached for Ben's hand and slowly asked him if it was ok if he went out. Obviously, Ben smiled and signed "I love you" as they always did before one went out.

"Errr Stuart, we were supposed to be doing the filing at the parlour... Remember?" Rainie interrupted. Sadly, the funeral parlour was quite busy during these times. "I won't be long my love!" Stuart mocked.

Empty. No one was in the flat. What a lovely feeling. Ben cracked on to work with turning the already colourful flat into a mini rainbow festival. Ok, all Ben did was put up some banners and afterwards he felt like he had just ran the marathon but that wasn't the point. Callum deserved so much better, as Ben always thought, and this was a gesture just to say "I love you, I'm proud of you and I'm sorry for being an annoying brat." And still after this, Ben felt terrible for lying to Callum, but the way he sees it is that he had no choice... or more like the fact that he wants to prove a point to his dad. Ben doesn't really know what that point is any more.

Slumped on the sofa feeling worn out (this was the most exercise that he had got during lockdown) Ben felt a buzz in his pocket: Stuart had texted him saying that they are on their way back. Ben was surprisingly nervous. He's never really done anything like this for his boyfriend. After a little while Callum and Stuart arrived. Standing there wearing a rainbow lei, a small smile gradually grew on Ben's face along with the glitter as he saw Callum's expression. "What's all this?" He exclaimed.

"Your first proper pride!" Ben couldn't hide his happiness. He gently dropped a lei over Callum's head.

"This is... This is amazing Ben. Thank you." The tall man was clearly lost for words.

Stuart also, felt strange. He has never seen his little brother so happy and content before: and he has never seen Ben put so much effort into something like this for Callum. At this very moment was when Stuart fully accepted Callum being gay and being in a relationship with Ben. It didn't matter. The love in front of him was just so pure and perfect.

"Well I would join in but I'm lacking in the boyfriend department!" Stuart joked. The boys grinned. "Well I better leave you both to it."

"Well I think you better after last pride!" Ben chimed in, laughing along with Stuart. Callum grinned awkwardly. Ben and Stuart had a very strange banter going on between them.

"Seriously though," Stuart walked towards the couple and put his hands on their shoulders, "What you both have is special."

Ben and Callum looked deeply into each others' dreamy eyes. Despite just being in their living room, Callum felt overwhelmed. He had never felt so loved. "I am so proud of you." Ben whispered. A tear ran down Callum's face. "You are the best, you know that Ben?"

This was the best pride. Just the two of them celebrating their love. They hugged each other tight and slow danced silently. It was a comfortable silence.