Finding Our Place

I was always dreaming of something... more. My purpose? I never knew quite what it was until it all clicked one day. I had the extreme desire to leave and not look back. I had a calling to a, not too surprising, place. Growing up I always wanted to explore my roots and travel to The Philippines. To learn about the culture, know where I come from, where my grandma comes from. But this was not my desire. My interest in Asian culture did lead me though, to another place nearby.

After listening to the music, to the words, to the sounds, I fell in love. It's all I could think about and all I researched for almost 2 years. I wanted to learn everything I could. The letters even appeared in a textbook the semester before and I didn't know it at the time. Hell, even every Buzzfeed quiz telling me where I should visit in the world knew. South Korea was calling to me.

Of course I listened to the music first. It was trending wasn't it? I didn't know that but I listened anyway and was mesmerized. I loved it but at first that's all it was, a love for the music. Then, a few days later, the words. I loved the language and I never really heard it before, or realized I heard it before. I probably, most likely, heard it in movies and maybe even TV shows. But now, it was all I wanted to listen to. It sounded so, pretty. So I learned. At least the letters and some vocabulary anyway. Then a few phrases and now, focusing on learning more.

I didn't want this to myself though. The second I realized what it all was, I showed my mom. Sent her the videos. Her realizing what I realized. That was it. The start of our lives changing. Within a year, it was talking to locals, learning more about the culture, wanting to visit, then wanting to live.

My mom was the one who decided we should visit. Check it out and maybe move later on if we could. Then it was her who decided she probably would never want to leave once she got there.

Within the second year, we sold everything, bought tickets, and left.

We didn't have a plan really. We would figure it out once we got there. Spontaneous definitely. My first time on a plane, since I was a baby anyway and could now understand what a plane was. My first time overseas. Although, not to a new country. We did know a few people already before going, including my mom's now fiancee. Right after she realized what I realized, she talked to people from there. They talked, they met, then about two years later, they're engaged.

But during that 4 month stay and the overnight stop in Japan, I can now say, South Korea is where I belong. Where we belong. I hope it's ready for our return.