ii. the shadows that follow

TWO
|
the shadows that follow

"Fighting the Dark Arts is like fighting a many-headed monster

"Fighting the Dark Arts is like fighting a many-headed monster...each time a neck is severed...sprouts a head even fiercer and cleverer than before...mutating and indestructible—"

Magnus scrunched his nose in disgust at the crude imagery.

"Merlin, these authors need to get a bloody life," he muttered under his breath as he skimmed through the latest edition of The Dark Arts and the Study of Shadows. Eloise had shoved it into his hands in an attempt to get him started on their essay.

"Isn't it a bit ironic? We need to learn about the Dark Arts in order to defend ourselves against it," Eloise mused, shuffling through her own book before stopping at a colorless page. "Here—it says Voldemort was the only true master of the Dark Arts following the death of Grindlewald."

Magnus winced slightly at her choice of words.

Eloise scoffed. "He seems like a little twit if you ask me."

He gave her a look of amusement before turning his eyes back to the book. "Only you, El, would insult He-Who-Must-Not-Be-Named in an off-handed comment."

"Well, he's bloody dead, what's he gonna do about it?"

· · ──── · ❈ · ──── · ·

THE GREAT HALL was a vast space of twinkling lights and comforting warmth—the flickering candles drifted lazily under the starry sky that reflected the one blanketing the earth outside. There was a buzz of excitement in the atmosphere as the students ate and drank happily after another successful Sorting.

"Now that we have all been fed and watered, I must ask for your attention once again while I give a few notices," Headmaster Dumbledore spoke, and in a moment, the entire Great Hall was dead silent.

"Mr. Filch, the caretaker, has asked me to tell you that the list of objects forbidden inside the castle has this year been extended to include Screaming Yo-yos, Fanged Frisbees, and Ever-Bashing Boomerangs," Dumbledore listed almost too enthusiastically, his lips twitching up at his own words. "The full list comprises some four hundred and thirty-seven items, I believe, and can be viewed in Mr. Filch's office.

"As ever, I would like to remind you all that the forest on the grounds is out-of-bounds to students, as is the village of Hogsmeade to all below third year," the headmaster continued. He paused, his half-moon spectacles glimmering against the torchlights. "It is also my painful duty to inform you that the Inter-House Quidditch Cup will not take place this year."

There was an immediate uproar of protests that flooded the Great Hall in response, but Professor Dumbledore didn't exhibit as much as a flinch. He only weaved his fingers together in a calm manner, waiting patiently for the commotion to die down.