Chapter 3

Virgil shivered despite being in a bundle of blankets. Two of which were given to him by Patton as a gift. The other three were from before he moved to the Light Palace.

It wasn't so bad right now, but he knew it would get much worse soon.

First it was the sickness.

Then his body started aching.

And now, his body temperature was dropping dramatically.

What would be next?

Migraines?

Fatigue?

Bleeding?

All three sounded possible considering that this was turning into a whole soup of states Virgil hated being in.

But, he could last a bit, couldn't he?

Maybe this was just the really rough part before it would ease up an things would be running smoothly.

Hopefully...

Virgil heard someone pop up. He had been hunched over, but sat up and stared directly at a person he was all too familiar with, and was secretly hoping to see again.

"Jan—Deceit? What are you doing here?"

Deceit laughed a little under his breath. This laugh was a pleasant one, the type of giggle that could lighten the atmosphere by quite the margin.

Nobody heard that laugh often, since Janus only reserved it for people he really enjoyed the company of.

I mean, what reason would he have to bother?

Everyone in the Dark Palace knew this, and only took it as a great sign when he did it in front of them.

Everyone in the Light Palace assumes that he was only a liar hellbent on ruining all of Thomas' relationships, and even his life, to that extent.

If Virgil was in that position...

Wait...

"You need to be so formal, Virgil. The others are in here are they?"

Virgil hesitantly shook his head.

One thing Janus heavily disliked about his powers was that he was often restrained to only saying the opposite of what he actually meant.

As a result, he spent a fair amount of time practicing how to reverse-psychology himself into saying what he meant right away. Not that it always worked.

With the Light Sides, he didn't put in that effort because the energy required to do so was reserved to just tolerating the unpleasant interactions with them.

Virgil tilted his head. "So, why are you here?"

Janus leaned on the wall a little. "I had a feeling that something was amiss. I just came to make sure that everything was okay."

"Well, it is?" Virgil untucked his hands from the blankets. "I'm okay, you don't need to risk being spotted by the others."

Janus's expression changed just a little, but Virgil was able to see the hurt clear as day before he even replied. "Oh, are you not embarrassed to be seen with me?"

Virgil winced as he recognized the mistake. Putting his hands in front and shaking his head. "Nonono! That's not—I'm not embarrassed by you!"

"Well... When you didn't say that, I didn't assume you meant you'd be looked down on if they saw you with me."