Peanut Butter

Shauna POV:

I close my bedroom door, slamming it shut. There isn't enough privacy in this house and there never will be. I can hear Lynn and Hector arguing about some nonsense downstairs and my mother trying to calm both of them down. Nothing like 11:00 pm arguing to stop you from trying to sleep or at least get some shit done. I try a math problem for the fourth time before letting out an annoyed groan. My phone buzzes once, causing me to glance at it and choose between procrastination and productivity.

"Get this done," I mumble to myself. Productivity wins battle number one. After what seems like ages (probably only ten minutes) I finish the last problem. I look down at my work with a small amount of pride. At least it's done. I glance at my phone, which has buzzed about ten times since I last looked at it, and decide to take a small break. I mean, all I had to do was study now. I can hear more yelling downstairs and it's just getting louder. I can't be productive when it's this loud. I glance over the texts, which all appear to be from Zeke, scrolling up to the newest one and reading down. (A/N: I wrote this in shorthand originally but it bothered me so much, I changed it. I was literally about to post it and changed my mind. I don't think anyone wants to read a bunch of shorthand anyways.)

Zeke: Are you still awake? 11:00 pm

Zeke: Shauna! Math is so hard... 11:01 pm

Zeke: I need help! 11:01pm

Zeke: Shauna? 11:04 pm

Zeke: Can you respond? 11:05 pm

Zeke: I'm probably gonna fail because of you 11:06 pm

Zeke: I was lying but I really need help 11:07 pm

Zeke: Nevermind, figured it out 11:09 pm

Zeke: So, whatcha up to? 11:10 pm

I let out a small laugh at the conversation he managed to sustain by himself for a full ten minutes before replying.

Shauna: Hi.

Zeke: Finally!

Shauna: I'm not a phone addict and don't instantly reply when my phone buzzes.

Zeke: What if I was dying?

Shauna: I hope you'd have enough sense to call 911 rather than text me about it.

Zeke: Well, what if I wanted my last words to be to you?

Shauna: Your last words are different from your last texts.

Shauna: Also, you probably would need to call me to give me your last words

Shauna: Also, shouldn't your last words be to your mom or something?

Zeke: It's MY last words! I get to choose who I deliver them to

Zeke: Fair point though...

Shauna: Why are you up this late?

Zeke: Math, duh

Zeke: ...

Zeke: Am I annoying you?

Shauna: Uh, not yet

Zeke: What do you mean by that?

Shauna: You're pretty tolerable at the moment

Zeke: Gee, thanks

Zeke: You going to Lauren's party?

I stare at the phone confused for a second. What party? I shrug it off. I'm used to being cut out of events by a lot of people. I'm not as popular or social as Zeke.