Chapter Nine

"My bad," the boy mumbled, walking in on the three sitting at a table. "Do we all share a room?"

    "No," Tori smiled. "We're just talking before it starts. Come sit down!"

    Reluctantly, the kid shuffled over and sat next to Todoroki. He looked down at the table and didn't join in on the conversation the three continued.

    "I've always liked sweet things in the morning," Tori remarked. "I could never fully enjoy eating meat and things like that for breakfast."

    "Can't disagree with you more," Enji said, and she chuckled. They both looked to Toshinori and he cleared his throat.

    "I... uh-- I don't usually eat breakfast, so I couldn't say."

    "That's unhealthy," Tori said softly. "I can bring you some from now on if you'd like."

    "That's alright!" he laughed, shaking his head and averting his eyes. "I don't want to put you through any trouble."

    "Attention Quarter-Final contestants; you have ten minutes remaining until you are needed on the stage. Thank you!"

    "Ugh," Todoroki grumbled. Tori furrowed her brow at him and asked, "Why are you so upset?"

    "Why do you think?" he asked. She shrugged. "I have to fight you, Tori. Every year the audience hates the guy who has to fight the girl."

    "Only if you win," the boy to his left said. He turned slowly to him. The boy didn't make eye contact.

    "Who said I'm not gonna win?" he asked slowly and harshly.

    "Who said I'm not going to win?" Tori giggled, trying to relieve the tension from the two of them. Enji looked back at her. There was no way he was going to lose to a twig like her. "Come on, Enji, It's all in good fun!"

    "And my career."

    "Sure, that too," she said, waving her hand. The comment made Toshinori laugh. It even made the silent boy smile. She looked around the room like there was something she needed to find. Then she sighed and looked directly at Toshinori.

    "What's the name of your quirk?" she wondered whole-heartedly. The rhythm of his heart skipped a beat. He didn't know what to say. Why was she asking?

    "Super-Strength," he said. He was turning red; he could feel it. "It's a stupid name, I know."

    "It's better than mine. Get this: Bird," she winked. "Crazy, right? I never would've guessed it." She stood up and pushed her chair in, beginning to do her usual stretches.

    "I wish I had something like yours, Todoroki. Hellflame is an awesome name-- Hey Williams, what's yours?" she asked, speaking as if her thoughts and mouth had no filter in between.

    "All-Seeing."

    "See, that's cool!" she smiled, stretching her arm back and cracking it. She let out a satisfied breathed and leaning forward, her limbs dangling lifelessly as she touched her toes. "Usually American quirk names are bad, like mine or Toshi's. I guess you got lucky."

    "You think I'd fit in if I moved here?" he asked suddenly. She smiled as she finished her stretches. It was obvious the two other boys didn't know how to answer. She stepped forward and motioned him to walk with her to the stage as they talked. Their words could be vaguely heard down the hall for a moment or two before Enji and Toshinori were left alone.

    "I didn't even know that kid existed."

    "I just didn't know his name," Toshinori said softly, tugging quietly at one of his strands of hair. "Should we go out?"